University of Vermont

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Vermont
ask us

Questions? Find out more.

Frequently Asked Questions*

*More FAQs for transfer students

How do I confirm my acceptance fee?

To guarantee your enrollment at the University of Vermont for the fall semester, follow these steps:


We encourage online payment to expedite confirmation of your enrollment. You may pay your $475 acceptance fee online by E-check or by credit card (Mastercard, American Express, Discover or Visa*). Online payment is available through our application status website. You simply login with your UVM identification number (your '95' number) and password and click on the "pay my acceptance fee" button. The UVM ID is sent to all applicants by e-mail. If you have misplaced this information, the admitted student may request it by calling the Admissions Office and identifying themselves. Due to privacy restrictions, we are unable to give this information to anyone other than the student.

Once you complete the online payment, you will receive a confirmation message and e-mail for your records.

By Mail:
  • Complete the enrollment reservation card and return it to the Admissions Office postmarked no later than May 1 (or the payment deadline listed in your letter of acceptance if you are a transfer student).
  • Enclose a $475 acceptance fee (check or money order payable to the University of Vermont) with your enrollment reservation form. Please note that cash is not an accepted form of payment.
Acceptance Fee Information:

Payments after the payment deadline will be considered on a space-available basis. The acceptance fee is a one-time fee separate from tuition; it is not a tuition deposit.

Please be sure to notify any other colleges to which you've been accepted that you plan to enter the University of Vermont.

Deadline extensions are granted only if you have applied for need-based financial aid and have not received your financial aid package within three working days of the deadline. Please send an e-mail to the Admissions Office ( before the payment deadline to request an extension.

If your plans to enroll change before the payment deadline, you may request a full refund of the acceptance fee. After the payment deadline, the acceptance fee is non-refundable. Send your withdrawal request in writing to the Admissions Office.

What is the acceptance fee?

For admitted students to secure a space at UVM, an acceptance fee of $475 made payable to the University of Vermont is required. The acceptance fee is a one-time fee separate from tuition; it is not a tuition deposit.

Up until the payment deadline stated in your letter of admission, that fee is refundable. Requests for the refund may be made in writing to the Admissions Office. After the payment deadline stated in your letter of admission, the acceptance fee is non-refundable.

Payment may be made by check or money order payable to the University of Vermont. Checks may be sent to UVM Admissions, 194 South Prospect Street, Burlington, VT 05401. Please be sure to indicate the name of the student, birth date, and permanent mailing address.

Reservations for June Orientation cannot be made until an acceptance fee has been received and processed.

I've paid my acceptance fee ... what's next?

After confirming your enrollment and sending your acceptance fee (see above), read the "after I've paid my acceptance fee" checklist.

When will I hear about scholarships?

Starting in mid-December, first-year students are notified of merit scholarship awards generally within two weeks of receiving their letter of admission; a small number of students who are admitted in December under our Early Action program may not learn of their scholarship award until March. All students are automatically considered for academic scholarships based on their admission application; no separate application is required.

To see detailed descriptions of the most frequently-awarded UVM scholarships, please see our UVM Scholarships page.

When will I hear about financial aid?

If you completed the financial aid application process by February 10, your financial aid award will be posted online by late March/early April. We will notify you by e-mail once your award has been posted. You can check the status of your application online.

If you are transferring to the University of Vermont and applied for federal aid at your previous institution, you may call the Federal Processor at 1-800-4-FEDAID to give them the UVM school code (003696). You will need to supply the Data Release Number (DRN) listed on your Student Aid Report (SAR). When your data is received by UVM, the Financial Aid Office will contact you and request any additional information that may be required. A final financial aid award notification will be sent after all required documents are received.

For more information about the Financial Aid process and different types of aid you can visit the UVM Student Financial Services website. You can also contact the office directly by phone: (802) 656-5700 or fax: (802) 656-4076.

What are the on-campus employment opportunities?

Students who qualify for Federal Financial Aid may be eligible for positions through the federal Work Study program. Please contact Student Financial Services for more information about these positions. For other on-campus job opportunities, please consult the office of Career Services. Many students also find employment at businesses in the Burlington area.

How are students selected for the Honors College?

Entry to the Honors College does not require a separate application for first-year students. The Admissions Office selects the most academically talented candidates (approximately 5% of accepted students) and notifies them on a rolling basis through March. Students who are not initially admitted into the Honors College may apply for sophomore entry at the end of their first year at UVM.

Most recently, the average class rank of those invited to the Honors College was within the top 10%; the average SAT scores were 705 Critical Reading, 703 Math, 713 Writing.

Beyond the Honors College, the University recognizes outstanding scholarship through several national societies as well as university-based awards and distinctions.

When do I register for classes?

First-time first-year students sign up for courses during June Orientation. Transfer students sign up for courses after receiving instructions from their academic unit once the acceptance fee has been paid.

UVM operates on the semester system. A full listing of dates for current and proposed academic calendars is available online.

Students interested in summer or evening courses may contact the Division of Continuing Education.

Will I have an advisor to help me choose classes?

Academic Advising is an integral part of not only the first year here at UVM, but it follows students through their entire university career. Because we place such a high value on the advisor-student relationship, there are many opportunities and resources available. Every student, no matter what their choice of major, is paired with a professor prepared to assist them with their success at the university level.

An advisor's responsibilities range from helping students select a major to helping track progress in their academic courses. Should a student change majors at any time, a change in advisors can be assigned to better suit the student's academic needs. Students who have an undeclared major will be given an advisor specialized in helping to direct them to an area of focus, though the student will need to take initiative in learning more about the majors offered at UVM.

Teacher Advisor Program/TAP is an elective program for first-year students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences that combine interactive courses with careful academic advising. In TAP, you and other first-year students enroll in a small-group seminar on a topic of common interest. Your professor, doubling as your academic advisor, will help you discover your interests and reach your academic goals.

How do I change my major?

It is not at all uncommon for students to change majors prior to enrolling or during their first or second years at UVM. Selecting a different major sometimes involves changing from one undergraduate school or college within the university to another. Provided a student is in good academic standing and that space is available in the new area of study selected, requests for a major change are usually considered. There are some programs with extra requirements or restrictions on major changes. If you have any questions about changing your major, you may wish to contact an admissions counselor.

If you have been admitted to the University but it is prior to May 15 and you would like to change your major, please send your request in writing to with the subject "Major Change Request." Include your full name, birth date, mailing address, and the major for which you would like to be considered. After May 15, please be in touch with the dean's office of the academic unit in which you would like to pursue coursework.

How do I get credit for an AP, IB, CLEP or other college credit earned?

To learn about credit given for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and other courses/exams taken in high school, visit our section on transferring other credits.

How do I transfer credits from another institution to UVM

For college credit to transfer into the University of Vermont, the following criteria must be met:

  • You took courses at an academically accredited, degree-granting institution.
  • You earned a grade equivalent to a "C" or higher (2.0 on a 4-point scale).
  • The courses are considered comparable in content, nature, and intensity to those offered at UVM.

Our registrar's office keeps a transfer guide online showing credits that have previously transferred to UVM from other institutions. (If a course is not listed, it does not necessarily mean the credit will not transfer; it may simply mean a student has not previously attempted to have credit from that course at that institution transfer to UVM.)

How do I sign up for campus housing?

The University of Vermont considers the on-campus living experience an integral and necessary part of the total education of its students. For that reason, all first-time first-year students are required to live on campus for four consecutive matriculated semesters (ie: first year and sophomore year).

First-time, first-year students are assigned to a room based on the preferences they select on their Housing and Meal Plan Contract (ie: academic break housing, special interest housing, roommate(s), room style and room type preferences). 

Read more about living on campus on the Residential Life website, new students section.

How are roommates chosen?

Roommate requests will be honored when possible if all individuals have mutually requested each other on their Housing and Meal Plan contracts by listing their preferred roommate(s) name(s) and student ID number(s), and if their housing preferences match.

If there is no mutual roommate listing, roommates are assigned randomly. In instances when a student has been admitted to a special interest program, priority goes to the program request rather than the roommate request. Please visit Res Life's roommate Q/A for more information.

Can I have a car on campus?

At the University of Vermont, first-year students are not eligible for campus parking. (Some first-year students may be approved for waivers to this policy. For further information related to first-year student parking waivers visit the Transportation and Parking website.) After completing the first year, students are eligible for parking in designated areas during normal school hours as well as other lots on campus in the evening and on weekends. Check parking signs for specific guidelines. Parking passes are obtained through the University's Transportation and Parking Services. Depending on where you live on campus, priority parking may be subject to a lottery system.

Last modified April 29 2014 09:30 AM