University of Vermont

2013-2014 Catalogue

Food Systems (Master of Science)


Food Systems M.S. graduates gain a broad and deep understanding of our contemporary food system, as well as a set of applied skills and experience – preparing them to succeed.

There are two phases to the Food Systems master's program: Immersion and Research or Application. All students will take the same first-year immersion program, then continue on either of two tracks:

  • Research Track (two-year): Students design and complete a year-long project with a faculty mentor, continuing to take courses through the traditional academic year.
  • Professional Track (accelerated): Students choose summer intensive courses and spend one semester designing and researching a final project.

For more information please visit the Master of Science in Food Systems Link out of catalogue site. website.

General Requirements

Specific Requirements

Requirements for Admission to Graduate Studies for the Degree of Master of Science in Food Science

The Food Systems masters program is transdisciplinary and involves an understanding of social, physical, and life science concepts related to food from production through consumption. Therefore, students from all academic backgrounds are welcome to apply. Minimum requirements include:

  • GPA of 3.00 or higher
  • Satisfactory GRE General score
  • Completion of a college-level statistics course
  • At least one introductory course in anthropology, sociology or political science
Minimum Degree Requirements for the Degree of Master of Science

Minimum degree requirements are:

  • 32 hours, including six hours of supervised thesis research (Research Track) or a three-credit project plus six-nine credits of summer coursework and fieldwork (Professional Track).
  • Required courses: FS 335 - Qualitative Research Methods, Theories and Methods for Quantitative Research, FS 345 - Food Systems, Society and Policy (Fall), FS 340 - Food Systems, Science and Policy (Spring) and FS 350 - Food Systems Immersion.
  • All students are also required to take a three-credit Travel Immersion course, either in summer or during semester breaks, as well as a one-credit Graduate Student Seminar during the fall term.