University of Vermont

2013-2014 Catalogue

Policies and General Information

Transfer Student Admissions

The university welcomes applicants who have demonstrated success at other institutions of higher education and who have met all university-wide entrance requirements either in high school or in college. For the purpose of admission, a transfer candidate is one who has enrolled in college level courses for credit after completion of or graduation from secondary school.

All transfer students are considered for admission on a space-available, competitive basis.

In making transfer admission decisions, the admissions office reviews all academic information available: official transcripts of all college level work and the high school record (or General Education Development Certificate). Submission of standardized test scores such as the SAT or the ACT is optional for transfer candidates.

Transfer candidates are subject to the minimum entrance requirements outlined for first-year candidates, including the specific college’s and school’s additional requirements. Any entrance requirement not fulfilled in high school can be met by an equivalent semester-long college course prior to admission to UVM.

For transfer candidates who have earned fewer than twenty-one college level semester credits, the quality of the high school record and course rigor remain the primary admissions criteria. After twenty-one earned semester credits, the college grade-point average and course selection are the most important factors in a decision. The admissions office still reviews the high school record to determine if all university-wide entrance requirements have been met. Students who were wait-listed or denied admission previously as high school students should be working toward completion of a minimum of twenty-one credits at the point of applying to UVM.

The minimum grade-point average requirement for all transfer candidates is 2.70 on a four-point scale. Generally, a 3.00 average or above is recommended to be competitive. Transfer applicants are encouraged to review progression and graduation requirements for each college or school.

Additional Transfer Requirements

College of Nursing and Health Sciences: A limited number of seats may be available for qualified applicants interested in transferring to the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. Applicants to the nursing major must have completed approximately thirty semester credits of the non-nursing required course work from the first year of the curriculum. Qualified applicants to all other majors will be considered on a space-available basis.

School of Business Administration: The School of Business Administration requires transfer applicants to have completed at least one semester of college level calculus and one semester of college level economics (micro or macro economics is preferred), with a GPA of at least a 2.50 or better. AP credits are acceptable. Transfer applicants who do not meet this requirement will only be considered for their second major choice outside the School of Business Administration.

Students who do not meet the minimum requirements are encouraged to enroll in the College of Arts and Sciences to complete the Business Prerequisites prior to initiating an internal transfer. Upper-level business transfer credit must come from an AACSB accredited institution to be considered for equivalent transfer credit.

College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences: Students transferring to UVM under articulation agreements should be aware of the School of Engineering's Pre-Engineering Technical (PET) requirement. In order to take sophomore or higher level engineering courses, students must have transfer credits for calculus I and II (i.e., MATH 021 and MATH 022), college chemistry (CHEM 031), calculus-based physics I (PHYS 031) and a programming course in MATLAB (CS 020). Transferring students will need to have transfer credit or complete the PET requirement(s), with a C- or better in all courses, during their first semester at UVM.

Honors College: Transfer students with first-year standing and a minimum grade-point average of 3.40 from their former institution are eligible to apply for sophomore admission to the Honors College. Students with junior or senior standing cannot be considered for the Honors College as they are not able to complete the necessary curricular requirements to become Honors College Scholars. Admission to the university is a prerequisite for applying to the Honors College. Students may work on both applications concurrently, but no action will be taken on the Honors College application until the student is admitted to the university.

Transfer Credit Policy

The Office of Transfer Affairs reviews each college level course taken by transfer candidates accepted for admission. Transfer candidates are notified electronically with their official credit evaluation. To receive transfer credit, a course must have been taken at a regionally accredited degree-granting college or university for credit; it must be comparable in content, nature, and intensity to a course offered at UVM; and the grade earned must be comparable to a C or higher as indicated on an official transcript. The dean of the college or school determines the applicability of the transfer course(s) to the student's degree requirements at the university. Credit is given for course content only once; it is the student's responsibility not to duplicate courses. There are limits on the number of credits transferred that may be applied to the degree program and the major selected. In general, 30 of the last 45 credits earned for the UVM degree must be taken at the university.

All transfer credit remains provisional until the transfer student successfully completes one semester of course work as a degree student at UVM. The UVM grade-point average reflects only course work taken here. Grades from other institutions are not calculated into the UVM GPA and will not appear on a UVM transcript.

Credit through the Advanced Placement program Link out of catalogue site. (AP) of the College Board is granted for scores of 4 or 5. Scores of 3 are acceptable for some exams. Consult the AP credit guide for specifics at the UVM’s AP Guide Link out of catalogue site. website. Official AP score reports from the College Board must be sent directly to the Office of Transfer Affairs in order to receive credit. AP course equivalencies are determined by the faculty of the corresponding subject area and are awarded by the Office of Transfer Affairs. AP credit is assigned a UVM course equivalency and applicability to the degree program is determined by the dean's office of the student's college or school. Students receiving transfer credit for AP may not receive credit for the same course at UVM.

Students who complete International Baccalaureate (IB) course work and receive a score of 5 or greater on higher level IB exams may be eligible for transfer credit (UVM does not award credit for standard level exams). Students may receive credit for course work without completing the entire IB curriculum. Up to one year of introductory course work may be awarded in a discipline.

College-level courses taken through high school cooperatives, such as Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA), may transfer to UVM if they meet the standards set forth above by the Office of Transfer Affairs. Credit may also be obtained through a nationally-standardized exam to demonstrate college level subject mastery. Advanced Placement Examinations (AP), which can be taken while still in high school, or College Level Examination Placement (CLEP) would serve as recognized standardized exams. More information about UVM's CLEP policy is available at: UVM’s AP Guide Link out of catalogue site.. A third option is the UVM Credit by Exam. Contact the Office of Transfer Affairs for more information.

Diversity Requirement and Transfer Credit

All transfer credit review starts with the Office of Transfer Affairs. In order to determine if a transferred course will satisfy the Category One (D1) or Category Two (D2) Diversity Requirement, please submit the following to the Office of Transfer Affairs:

  • A detailed syllabus of the transferred course in question. Additional supporting documentation may be requested if the committee deems it necessary.
  • An essay of approximately one page that explicitly states which requirement (D1 or D2) the transferred course is attempting to fulfill and how the transferred course meets the diversity criteria, as outlined for each category.
  • Information about what is required to be addressed in each category can be found on the office of the registrar’s website at the Registrar’s Link out of catalogue site. website.

Further questions regarding transfer credit should be addressed to the Office of Transfer Affairs, 360 Waterman Building, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405-0160, (802) 656-0867 or email: