University of Vermont

2013-2014 Catalogue

Policies and General Information

Financial Aid for Undergraduate Students

For any questions about financial aid at UVM, visit the Student Financial Services Link out of catalogue site. website, or contact Student Financial Services via the information below:

Phone: (802) 656-5700
Web: Student Financial Services Link out of catalogue site.
Fax: (802) 656-4076


Students who wish to be considered for assistance in meeting their university expenses with student loans, grants or employment should consider applying for federal, state, and university financial aid. To be eligible to apply for financial aid, a student must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. To be considered for aid, a student must also be enrolled at least half-time (six credits) in a degree program. Audited credits or Credits by Exam cannot be considered as part of the credits in determining financial aid eligibility. Students enrolling as non-degree (through Continuing Education) may be eligible for limited financial aid. Visit the Student Financial Services Link out of catalogue site. website for more information.

Application Procedures

Incoming first-year students who wish to apply for aid may do so by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at FAFSA Link out of catalogue site. after January 1 and before February 10th; and providing any verification information requested by UVM Student Financial Services. Incoming transfer students and returning UVM students should submit their FAFSA online between January 1st and March 1st. Applications submitted after these dates will be processed in chronological order, subject to the availability of funds. In addition to following the procedures listed above, all students should apply to their state financial aid grant agency for assistance. Vermont students should apply to the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC), P.O. Box 2000, Winooski, VT 05404 or visit the VSAC Pay for College Link out of catalogue site. website.

The Financial Aid Package

The University of Vermont participates in all federal and state financial aid programs and must adhere to their requirements. Additionally, the university makes available a variety of grant and loan opportunities from its own operating and endowment funds. While most federal and state aid is based exclusively on student need, eligibility for university funds is based on student need and on the strength of the applicant's academic record. Applicants will be considered for all aid programs for which they are eligible. Aid is most often awarded in combinations or "packages" of the various types of aid. Almost all awards will include some student loan.

Student loans are available to all students regardless of need in the form of Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans. To be considered, however, a student must APPLY for aid. After a determination of eligibility has been made by Student Financial Services, students will be notified if they qualify for "need-based" aid or for an Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan.

In the awarding of UVM institutional financial aid funds, a student's academic record is taken into consideration. Most federal and state financial aid funds are allocated solely on the basis of student and parent financial need.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standard for Financial Aid Recipients

In order to maintain eligibility for federal Title IV financial aid, matriculated undergraduate students must progress at a rate that ensures completion of their degree programs within a reasonable time frame. Full-time undergraduate students may be entitled to up to six years of financial aid eligibility to complete their degree requirements. Beginning with the first semester of study in a degree program at the University of Vermont, a federal financial aid recipient is required to accumulate earned credits totaling at least 75 percent of the number of credits attempted. Each student’s progress will be measured at the end of each semester to ensure adherence to this standard.

In order to qualify for assistance, students must maintain at least the minimum cumulative grade-point average (GPA) listed below for their college and major:

  • 2.00 College of Engineering and Mathematics (Majors: Computer Science, Computer Science & Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics)
  • 2.30 College of Engineering and Mathematics (Majors: all others, including undeclared)
  • 2.30 College of Nursing and Health Sciences (Majors: Medical Laboratory Science, Radiation Therapy, Nuclear Medicine Technology)
  • 2.50 College of Nursing & Health Sciences (Majors: all others, including undeclared)
  • 2.00 College of Education and Social Services (Majors: Human Development & Family Studies)
  • 2.50 College of Education and Social Services (Majors: all others, including undeclared)
  • 2.00 for all other students

Any student not meeting the standard described above will be placed on Financial Aid Warning Status for a one semester period (during which time aid eligibility will be maintained). Should the student not meet the required credit standard or cumulative grade-point average standard by the end of that warning semester, the student’s eligibility for additional financial aid will be withdrawn until the student has met the required standard.

Students whose aid is withdrawn for not maintaining academic progress according to the standard outlined above may appeal their loss of aid by writing to the Office of Student Financial Services. The decision to withhold aid eligibility will be reviewed by an appeals committee for circumstances which warrant special consideration. Such circumstances may include but are not limited to medical emergencies or family crises that resulted in the student's not meeting the stated requirements.

Standards for graduate students enrolled in a master’s or doctoral degree program can be found by clicking on “Academic Progress and Aid” found on the Student Financial Services Financial Aid Handbook Link out of catalogue site. website.