Policies and General Information
The University of Vermont is accredited by the New England Association of Colleges and Schools (NEASC), a non-governmental, nationally-recognized organization whose affiliated institutes include elementary schools through collegiate institutions offering postgraduate instruction.
Accreditation of an institution by the New England Association indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of institutional quality periodically applied through a peer group review process. An accredited school or college is one which has available the necessary resources to achieve its stated purposes through appropriate educational programs, is substantially doing so, and gives reasonable evidence that it will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Institutional integrity is also addressed through accreditation.
Accreditation by the New England Association is not partial but applies to the institution as a whole. As such, it is not a guarantee of quality of every course or program offered or the competence of individual graduates. Rather, it provides reasonable assurance about the quality of opportunities available to students who attend the institution.
Inquiries regarding the status of an institution's accreditation by the New England Association should be directed to the administrative staff of the university. Individuals may also visit the website for The New England Association of Colleges and Schools , or write them at 209 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730-1433, or call them at (781) 271-0022.
Specific academic program accreditations include:
- Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Dietetics - Accreditation Council for Education and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND)
- Arts and Sciences
- Chemistry - American Chemical Society
- Clinical Psychology - American Psychological Association
- Business Administration
- AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Education and Social Services
- Social Work - Council on Social Work Education
- Teacher Education - Vermont Department of Education; National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Counseling - Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
- Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering Programs - Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
- Liaison Committee on Medical Education
- American Medical Association
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Nursing and Health Sciences
- Athletic Training Education Program - Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- Radiation Therapy - Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
- Medical Laboratory Science – National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science
- Nuclear Medicine Technology - Joint Review Committee on Education Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- (Professional) Nursing - Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Physical Therapy - Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education
- Speech - Language Pathology - American Speech-Language-Hearing Association