Policies and General Information
The Office of International Education (OIE), located in B162 of the Living/Learning Center, is an advising and resource center for students interested in a year, semester, short-term or summer study abroad experience. Study abroad advisors maintain extensive information about study abroad programs, institutions, and internship opportunities. They, in conjunction with the academic advisor and the Office of Transfer Affairs, help students identify programs appropriate to their needs and arrange credit approval from UVM. All students who intend to study abroad and have credits considered for transfer are required to have their study abroad program officially approved by the Office of International Education prior to departure. Contact the OIE for deadlines. Official approval is required for students to confirm that their programs of study are eligible for transfer credit consideration and that appropriate financial aid, where applicable, will apply. There is a $500 study abroad fee for semester and year-long programs and a $250 fee for summer and semester break external programs.
To be eligible to apply for a semester or more, a student must meet eligibility requirements listed below for UVM, as well as for the approved study abroad program and/or foreign institution.
- Have been admitted to UVM as a degree-seeking student and have been enrolled in UVM classes the semester before the planned study abroad term. (Continuing Education students are only eligible to study abroad on short-term UVM programs.)
- Have completed one semester at UVM and have attained at least sophomore standing.
- Have a minimum UVM cumulative GPA of 2.50. Students with a cumulative GPA under a 2.50 and above a 2.00 may seek permission to study abroad by submitting an Academic Eligibility Form (AEF) to their academic dean’s office for consideration. Contact OIE to make an appointment with a study abroad advisor to discuss eligibility requirements and to pick up an AEF.
- Have not been academically dismissed or be on academic trial or probation.
- Under no circumstances will a student on disciplinary suspension the semester before studying abroad, and/or the semester they are scheduled to study abroad, receive UVM approval for overseas study.
- Students who are on a leave of absence or otherwise are not enrolled in UVM classes the semester prior to the planned study abroad term must be granted permission by the Assistant Director of Study Abroad.
Students need to maintain good academic and social standing at UVM until departing to study abroad.
For more information about eligibility requirements for study abroad, visit the Office of International Education website.