Policies and General Information
Requirements for Visiting Graduate Students
1. Visitors will be enrolled (or active) in accredited graduate degree programs elsewhere (U.S. or abroad).
2. Visitors will participate at UVM in formal fellowship programs or graduate-level research projects under the direction of UVM faculty.
3. Funding for the fellowship or research activity generally will be from external sources.
4. Visitors will normally perform the equivalent of at least five credit hours of course work or research credit per semester during the term of the appointment.
5. Visitors will enroll for a Visiting Graduate Student Research section of GRAD 902 or GRAD 903, depending on the level of expected effort, each term they are at UVM. Permission to enroll in the section is required from the Graduate College. Fees* and level of access to UVM facilities are established by the enrollment level with a minimum provision of a UVM student ID card and access to the library, fitness center and bus privileges and can be found on the Continuous Graduate Registration topic found under Policies and General Information in this catalogue.
6. With the equivalent of half-time student status (GRAD 902), visiting graduate students will be eligible to enroll in the UVM student insurance plan. Normally, visitors will be required to show proof of existing medical insurance coverage comparable to or greater than the UVM student insurance plan, or else to enroll in the UVM plan.
7. Visitors will be appointed for a term of up to one year as determined by the Dean of the Graduate College and consistent with the educational objectives of the Visitor. Visitors may be reappointed by the dean; in most cases, the maximum total period of Visitor status will not exceed two years.
8. Visitors enrolled for Visiting Graduate Student Research are not enrolled in UVM degree programs and thus will not be eligible for financial aid, i.e., federal loans or work study, through The University of Vermont.
9. International students should contact the Office of International Education for information on visas and transition to UVM. For information regarding tax status, refer to Tax Information for Foreign National Students and Scholars .
10. Visitor appointments will be made by the department or program subject to the approval of the college or school and the Dean of the Graduate College. Appointing departments will request Visitor status from the Graduate College Dean's office by providing a description of the research or other academic activity, an official transcript or a letter from the student's home institution indicating that the student is currently enrolled or active in a graduate program at that institution, and a completed cover sheet with basic background information. The Graduate College Dean's office will maintain a file on all individuals appointed as Visitors. A form to request Visitor Status can be found on the Graduate College website
*2013-14 fees are $200 per semester for GRAD 902 and $603 per semester for GRAD 903. The fee for students in GRAD 902 who need to purchase UVM health insurance will be $503 per semester. The cost of UVM health insurance, if required, for students in either GRAD 902 or GRAD 903 is $2740 per year.