University of Vermont

2013-2014 Catalogue

Policies and General Information

Fellowships, Assistantships, Traineeships, Stipends, and Grants for Graduate Students

Students who wish to be considered for fellowships as well as admission must submit completed applications, with supporting materials, by March 1st of the academic year preceding that for which application is made, or the program's application deadline, whichever is earlier. Any applicant requesting fellowship, assistantship, or traineeship support must submit an official copy of the Graduate Record Examination score report.

Application for fellowships and assistantships is normally made by completing the appropriate section on the application form. No separate form is required except where indicated in the descriptions below.

Tuition scholarships accompanying Graduate Teaching, College, Research, and Student Affairs Assistantships do not cover audits or physical education activity courses, nor do they cover courses numbered below 200 or 200-level courses not approved for graduate credit, except upon prior approval of the Dean of the Graduate College.

Graduate College Fellowships

The Graduate College offers ten fellowships in support of master's degree programs in the social sciences and humanities. These fellowships provide a full tuition scholarship (48-credit hour maximum) for the degree program (two years maximum).

The fellowships are open to prospective students in the social sciences and humanities at the time they apply to graduate study. Holders of Graduate College Fellowships are required to carry minimum enrollment of nine credits per semester towards an advanced degree. The fellowships are not renewable.

Graduate Teaching/Research Assistantships

Graduate Teaching or Research assistantships are awarded by the Graduate College through many of the departments offering graduate work. Graduate Teaching or Research assistants are generally appointed for nine months with stipends of $15,350 for master's and $17,000 for doctoral students for 2013-2014. Graduate Research/Teaching combination assistantships are awarded in some of the science departments offering graduate work. Graduate Research/Teaching assistants may be appointed for 12 months with stipends generally ranging from $20,467 to $24,000 and a tuition scholarship.

Graduate Teaching, Research or Research/Teaching assistants must enroll for a minimum of five credits (or GRAD 902) per semester. Typical enrollment is nine to twelve credits per semester (or GRAD 903). In addition to the stipend, the assistantship award includes a tuition scholarship covering the number of credits specified in the award letter, but not to exceed twelve per semester, during the period of the assistantship.

Approximately 20 hours of research and/or teaching effort per week is required of Graduate Teaching, Research or Research/Teaching assistants, and assistants must expect that more than one academic year will be necessary to complete the requirements for the master's degree. If a Teaching or Research/Teaching assistant is a candidate for the doctoral degree, at least four calendar years must be anticipated for completion of the academic program. Generally, assistants are appointed in the departments in which they are doing graduate work.

Student and Campus Life Graduate Assistantships

Within the Division of Student Affairs, a number of assistantships are made available annually. Each assistantship provides graduate students a professional opportunity to support and develop the Division's goals and activities in its work with students. The candidates selected to fill these positions are assigned administrative and advisory positions in the residence halls, departments within the Division, and in other student services areas. Graduate students who hold Student Affairs Assistantships will gain valuable experience in the areas of group advising, administration, personnel advising, and educational programming. Such positions are open to either married or single students who have been accepted for graduate work in any of the academic programs of the university. The majority of graduate students are enrolled in the Higher Education and Student Affairs graduate program.

Selection is based upon academic record, character, recommendations, and quality of related experiences. A personal interview is required. Requests for applications and additional information should be addressed to Student and Campus Life Graduate Assistantships, UVM, Nicholson House, 41 South Prospect Street, Burlington, VT 05405-0094, or preferably by email to Questions can also be directed via email: . Completed applications must be received by January 1st for full consideration. Applications received after January 1st will be considered only for unanticipated openings. Appointments will be announced on or about April 1st.

Extramurally-funded Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are generally available when a faculty member receives a grant from a source external to the university. The range of payments for 12-month appointments for 2013-2014 is $29,047 to $36,967; assistants on 9-month appointments receive proportionately reduced payments. The salary above the 12-month base of $20,467 for masters or $22,667 for doctoral students is intended to support the cost of tuition at the instate rate with a minimum enrollment of five credits and a maximum enrollment of ten credits each semester and five credits during the summer session (12-month appointments). For students in the Continuous Registration phase of their training, the minimum stipend levels would range from $21,067 to $23,267 for a 12 month appointment at the master’s and doctoral level, respectively, with the reduced level reflecting the reduced cost of Continuous Registration.

Approximately 20 hours of effort per week on the grant-sponsored project is required of extramurally-funded Graduate assistants, and more than one academic year will be necessary for the completion of the master's degree, and more for completion of the doctoral degree. For information on the availability of extramurally funded assistantships, contact the chairperson or graduate program coordinator of the department.

Graduate Fellowships/Traineeships

Graduate Fellowships/Traineeships are available in some departments through grants from various state and federal agencies. Fellowships/Traineeships may include both a stipend and tuition scholarship.

UVM Opportunity Fellowships

The graduate dean's office administers fellowships to increase campus diversity in graduate programs. Opportunity Fellowships, which are generally funded at a level equivalent to Graduate Teaching Assistantships, are available to students in all UVM graduate programs.

Travel Mini-Grants

The Graduate College provides mini-travel grants to help students underwrite the cost of attending conferences where they will present papers or posters based upon their research. The Mini-Grants Program is administered by the Graduate Student Senate. Funds are awarded three times per year. The student's home department must provide a match. Further information on the Mini-Grants Program is available at the GSS Link out of catalogue site. website.

Other Fellowships

Fellowships established by private donors are available periodically in some departments.

UVM Student Research Conference

All UVM students performing research or creative projects under the mentorship of a UVM faculty member are encouraged to participate in the UVM Student Research Conference, which is a full day devoted to presentations by graduate and undergraduate students from all disciplines. This event is sponsored by the Vice President for Research, the Graduate College and the Honors College.