Policies and General Information
Application and Supporting Materials for Undergraduates
To review an application and render a decision, the admissions office must receive the following by the appropriate deadlines:
- Application for admission Candidates may apply online using the Common Application and UVM Supplement and are encouraged to submit the application online at the The Common Application website.
- Application fee The $55 non-refundable application fee can be paid as part of the submission of the Common Application via credit card or e-check. For candidates for whom the fee poses a financial hardship, fee waivers are accepted from the College Board, school counselors, the admissions office, or other reputable sources familiar with the applicant’s financial situation. The $55 application fee is waived for first-year applicants applying by Nov. 1 for fall semester admission.
- Official transcripts from all secondary and (for transfer students) all postsecondary course work. Candidates may not ignore any previous academic work and are expected to provide a full, accurate account of the academic record. Only transcripts sent directly from the issuing agency via electronic submission or mail are considered official.
- Secondary school report should be completed by the secondary school counselor or other school official who is familiar with the student.
- Standardized testing results (First-Year Candidates only): the university requires first-year candidates to submit results from either the SAT or ACT (with the writing component). UVM’s code for the SAT is 3290 and 4322 for the ACT. Standardized test scores are considered official only if submitted directly from the testing agency. For further information regarding these tests, contact a high school guidance office or go directly to the following websites: College Boards or ACT, Inc.
- Letter of recommendation All candidates must present one letter of recommendation. First-year students are encouraged to obtain a recommendation from either a school/college counselor or current or recent teacher. Transfer students are encouraged to obtain a recommendation from a current or recent professor.
- Essays:UVM requires one extended essay as part of the Common Application.
- Music majors Candidates for the Bachelor of Arts in Music or Bachelor of Science in Music Education must contact the Department of Music to arrange for an audition or submit an audition CD or DVD before an application is considered complete. These materials become property of UVM and will not be returned. More information is available at the Department of Music website.