University of Vermont

2013-2014 Catalogue

Policies and General Information

Course Withdrawal

From the eleventh day of instruction until the second business day after the 60% point in the semester, students may withdraw from courses. To do so, students must use the registration system to withdraw from the course. The student’s advisor(s) and dean(s) will be notified. The instructor(s) will be aware of the withdrawal by the Withdraw status on the class roster and the presence of a grade of W on the grade roster.

Between the second business day after the 60% point in the semester and the last day of classes, students may withdraw from one or more courses only by demonstrating to their college/school Studies committee, through a written petition, that they are unable to continue in the courses(s) due to circumstances beyond their control. Such petition must contain conclusive evidence, properly documented, of the illness or other situation preventing completion of the course(s). Acceptable reasons do not include dissatisfaction with performance or expected grade, dissatisfaction with the course or instructor, or desire to change major or program. If the petition is approved, a grade of W will be assigned and recorded on the student's permanent record. If the petition is denied, the instructor(s) will assign a final grade (A-F) in accordance with the same criteria applied to all other students in the course(s).

Withdrawn courses are included in the number of credits used for billing purposes. No withdrawals will be permitted after the last day of classes. In all instances, withdrawal grades remain on the permanent academic record, but will not affect the grade-point average.

Retroactive Academic Adjustment

The university will consider requests for late withdrawal and retroactive academic adjustments when those requests are accompanied by appropriate information. To receive consideration, a student or his/her authorized representative must submit to his/her dean's office a completed Consultation Form for Late Withdrawal and Incompletes. Forms are available in deans' offices.

Students may appeal the academic adjustment decision of their school or college to the provost's office. If the appeal is based upon a certified disability and recommended as an appropriate accommodation, students may appeal the academic adjustment decision of their school or college as outlined in Policies and Procedures for Students with Disabilities under the section entitled "Protocol for Dispute Resolution”. All appeals must be submitted in writing.

Decisions regarding adjustments to academic records are distinct and separate from refunds. Any refund, including tuition, financial aid awards, fees, room, and board, will follow federal and institutional guidelines. The effective date for any refund will be the date that the completed form was received by the academic dean’s office. Questions regarding refunds should be directed to the Student Financial Services.