University of Vermont

2012-2013 Catalogue

CAS Regulations

Governing Independent Study

A student may receive credit for a project or program of independent study which is supervised by an academic department or program within the university. Such independent study projects may be carried out under registration in courses entitled Readings and Research or Internship. All such projects must conform to university guidelines for independent study. There is no limit on the number of independent study credits which may be earned, but prior approval by the Committee on Honors and Individual Studies is required if a student wishes to select nine or more such credits in a single semester.

Governing College Honors
  1. The College Honors program, designed for the superior student with unusual initiative and intellectual curiosity, provides an opportunity for a student to pursue two semesters (six credits) of independent research or a creative project under the direction of a faculty sponsor. Students in the College of Arts and Sciences may apply for College Honors if they have a cumulative GPA of 3.40 or higher at the time the application is submitted. The research or project must have been approved by the sponsoring department and by the Honors Committee. All application materials must be turned in to the committee by the deadlines posted on the College Honors website, typically during the first semester of the candidate's senior year. Students must present a satisfactory written report and pass an oral exam upon completion of the Honors project. Students who wish to consider undertaking a College Honors project during the junior year should contact the office of the dean for information concerning the circumstances in which such an exceptional arrangement is possible.

  2. Some departments in the college, including economics, English, geography, history, mathematics, and political science, sponsor departmental Honors programs. Participation in these programs is limited to those students who are specifically recommended by their department. Each department will define what is required to earn departmental Honors. A student who successfully completes this program is granted a degree with departmental Honors. These programs are administered directly by the sponsoring department and information concerning them may be obtained from faculty advisors.

Governing Study Abroad

Students should refer to the general university regulations and procedures pertaining to study abroad. For Arts and Sciences students the following additional policies pertain to the application of credit earned in a study abroad program:

  1. Regardless of the number of credits accepted in transfer by the university, a maximum of sixteen credits earned in a one-semester study abroad program will be applied toward satisfaction of degree requirements. For year-long programs, a maximum of thirty-two credits will be applied toward the degree.

  2. Students must complete thirty of the last forty-five credits in residence at UVM. One-half of the credits applied toward the satisfaction of major requirements, including twelve credits at the 100-level or above, must be completed at the University of Vermont. One-half of the credits applied toward the satisfaction of minor requirements must be completed at the University of Vermont.

  3. Under no circumstances will a student in the College of Arts and Sciences be permitted to enroll in a university-sanctioned study abroad program while on trial.

Governing Transfer into the College

A student who wishes to transfer into the College of Arts and Sciences from another college or school at the university must comply with the Intercollege Transfer (refer to Degree Student Status under Academic Policies and General Information). Applications for internal transfer may be submitted to the office of the dean at any time, and they will be reviewed on a continuous basis.

Governing Academic Standards

The following criteria for academic trial and dismissal, while making allowances for the student in the first semester, are designed to encourage academic work of quality at least equal to the minimum required for graduation.


  1. A student who earns a semester grade-point average higher than that which merits dismissal but below 2.00 is placed on trial. In order to avoid dismissal from the university, a student who has been placed on trial must in the following semester earn a 2.00 semester average, enroll in all courses for a letter grade, and maintain a program of twelve or more credits. No student will be removed from trial until both the semester and cumulative averages are at least 2.00. A student who is on trial may not enroll in a university-sanctioned study abroad program.

  2. First-Year Students. Following the first semester of enrollment, a student who earns a semester grade-point average higher than that which merits dismissal, but below 1.67, is placed on trial and must in the following semester satisfy the same probationary requirements as described above. All first-year students who have a cumulative grade-point average which is below 2.00 after completion of the second semester will be placed on trial.

  3. Dismissal

  4. A student who does not satisfy the conditions of trial, or who earns a semester grade-point average of 1.00 or lower, or who earns failing grades in one-half of the semester credits attempted (excluding courses in physical education and military studies) will be dismissed for low scholarship. The period of dismissal is one year. Dismissed students must receive written approval from the College of Arts and Sciences dean's office before enrolling in any university course.

  5. Readmission Following Dismissal

  6. A dismissed student who presents evidence of his/her ability to perform satisfactorily may be considered for readmission on trial. A student who has been dismissed for a second time will not be considered for readmission on trial until at least three years have elapsed. Further information regarding readmission may be obtained from the office of the dean.


Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131