University of Vermont

2012-2013 Catalogue

CESS Degree Requirements

Students must meet standards and requirements for each program approved by the College Academic Affairs committee, the college faculty, the dean, and the University Academic Affairs committee. All programs are nationally accredited and meet the standards of their professional group: Social Work by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE); Teacher Education programs (Art, Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Special Education, Elementary, Middle Level, Music, Physical Education and Secondary Education) by the Vermont State Department of Education and by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).

Copies of the degree requirements for each program are available through the CESS Student Services office, 528 Waterman and on the web at CESS Student Services Office Link out of catalogue site. and are also provided to students during Orientation sessions.

Students receive an Orientation Advising Packet which explains how the requirements can be fulfilled during a four-year period. Discussions with advisors provide students with information needed to plan the time span for program completion that meets their needs. Students who enroll in the College of Education and Social Services are expected to become very familiar with the degree requirements for their programs.

All students are required to fulfill the University Approved Diversity requirements through their CESS programs.

Criminal Record Check (CRC) Requirement

Students who matriculate in the College of Education and Social Services should expect to complete a Criminal Record Check (CRC) as a prerequisite for working in schools and agencies. Evidence of a Criminal Record may prevent students from being eligible to fulfill the field placement/teaching internship requirement.

Human Development and Family Studies and Social Work majors may be required by individual agencies to complete the CRC to be eligible for an internship in a specific agency. It is also important to note that membership in professional associations upon graduation, at least in the case of most social work organizations, typically requires a criminal background check as does employment in an ever-increasing number of human service agencies.

Students enrolled in the Teacher Education programs are required to complete the CRC to be eligible for the public school teaching internship and may also be required to complete the CRC during the first-year, sophomore and junior years. Each individual school makes the determination concerning the first-year, sophomore and junior experiences, but it is a state requirement that all students complete the CRC for eligibility to student teach.

The cost for fingerprints and FBI processing is covered by each individual student and is subject to change.

Disciplinary Action Related to Academic Performance

A student is subject to academic disciplinary action, including dismissal from the university, if (a) his or her semester or cumulative grade-point average falls below 2.00; or (b) he or she has failed six or more credits of course work in a given semester. This includes first-year and new transfer students.

A student who has a cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 or higher, but too low to meet specific program requirements, will be warned of pending disenrollment. Also, students who do not follow course requirements or who have not earned an appropriate grade-point average for their program will be warned of pending disenrollment. If at the end of two subsequent semesters the student has failed to meet the requirements (courses and/or GPA) of his/her program, s/he will be disenrolled from the college.

Students who are placed on trial rather than being dismissed and who do not meet the conditions of trial will then be dismissed.

Students on “academic trial” will not be allowed to participate in their senior internship/field placement and their graduation status may be jeopardized.


Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131