University of Vermont

2012-2013 Catalogue

Policies and General Information

International Student Admissions

The university welcomes the applications of international students.

Academic Documents

International applicants must submit official original transcripts of all secondary and postsecondary education, including final exam results. If documents are not in English, certified translations are required. Information regarding certified translation services can be obtained at the applicant's embassy or through the University Language Services Link out of catalogue site. or by phone within the U.S. at (800) 419-4601. Outside the U.S., call (212) 766-4111. This information is provided for your convenience only. All arrangements must be made directly with the translation option of your choice.

Standardized Tests

Students applying as first-year candidates must present official scores from either the SAT or the ACT (with writing). If English is not the student’s first language, official scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) will need to be submitted. UVM requires a minimum band IELTS score of 6.5, a minimum iBT score of 79-80 or 550 paper-based TOEFL. For information about test dates and sites for SAT exams, contact the College Board Link out of catalogue site.; for ACT exams, contact ACT Link out of catalogue site.; for TOEFL, contact TOEFL Link out of catalogue site.; and for IELTS, contact IELTS Link out of catalogue site.. If an international student has attended a U.S. institution for three or more years, the Office of Admissions may waive the requirement for TOEFL or IELTS scores on a case-by-case basis.

US-Sino Pathway Program (USPP)

The U.S.-Sino Pathway Program (USPP) is a partnership between the Consortium of North American Universities (CNAU), comprising Baylor University, DePaul University, Marist College, Northeastern University, Stevens Institute of Technology, the University of Utah, and the University of Vermont, and global education service provider Kaplan China Link out of catalogue site.. The program provides a success-oriented pathway for talented Chinese students to pursue undergraduate studies in the U.S. at one of the CNAU partner institutions.

USPP students start the program with a full year of college-level course work in China. Students who select UVM as their destination institution then enter a ten-week Summer Bridge program on the UVM campus. Successful completion of the Summer Bridge program will lead to matriculation in the fall semester with second-year status. Students are offered conditional admission to UVM on the basis of their performance in the credit-bearing courses taken during the fall and spring semesters in China with at least a 2.70 cumulative grade-point average. Final admission is granted on the basis of grades earned in the UVM Summer Bridge program. USPP students must meet the minimum entrance requirements for the college or school they choose. Students who matriculate into UVM through the US-Sino Pathway Program are considered for merit-based scholarship assistance. For more details, visit the Student Financial Services Link out of catalogue site. website for details.

English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs

The University of Vermont offers two English-as-a-Second-Language courses intended to ease the transition to studying and living in an English-speaking environment. Interested students with TOEFL or IELTS scores below the recommended minimum may want to consider transferring to the University of Vermont after studying at a U.S. college or university that offers intensive ESL preparation, although UVM will consider candidates on a case-by-case basis.

The ESL intensive program closest to the University of Vermont is found at Saint Michael's College; contact the English Language Programs Office, Saint Michael’s College, One Winooski Park, Colchester, VT 05439, by phone at (802) 654-2301 or by email at .

For further information concerning available programs, visit: NAFSA Link out of catalogue site. or write: Association of International Educators, 1875 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20009-5728.

Financial Support for International Students

The university offers merit-based scholarships to international students each year. Most international students pay the full cost of attending UVM; students attending on non-immigrant student visas are charged out-of-state tuition rates. All international students are considered for these merit-based scholarships; no additional application is required. Information about merit scholarships for international students may be found at the Student Financial Services Link out of catalogue site. website.

Form I-20

International students requiring an F-1 student visa to begin studies at the University of Vermont must complete an I-20 request form and submit it to UVM’s Office of International Education. The I-20 form can only be issued when a student has been formally admitted to UVM and has provided proof of sufficient financial support to cover educational expenses for one full academic year. The student must provide documentation for all sources of financial support. Financial documents must be submitted in English, state an exact currency amount (preferably in U.S. dollars) and be less than six months old at the point of submission for I-20 issuance.

For more information on obtaining an I-20, contact the Office of International Education, 633 Main St., Living/Learning B162, Burlington, VT 05405; Tel: 011-802-656-4296 or visit the Office of International Education Link out of catalogue site. website.

Transfer Credit for International Students

International students who have attended postsecondary institutions in their home country may be eligible for UVM credit under the Transfer Credit Policy guidelines. International students should submit comprehensive course descriptions and outlines, translated in English, to the Office of Transfer Affairs, 360 Waterman Building, Burlington, VT 05405-0160, USA. Submission of these materials helps the Office of Transfer Affairs prepare a full credit evaluation prior to enrollment at UVM. All translations must be certified by the school of record or by an official NACES member translation agency. Translations must accompany all original documentation. Students with post-secondary college level course work may wish to have their credentials evaluated for U.S. academic equivalents. For more information, please contact the Office of Transfer Affairs at (802) 656-0867, or email:

Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131