University of Vermont

2011-12 Online Catalogue

BSAD Special Programs

Accounting Program

A student who plans to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) should complete a General Accounting undergraduate concentra-tion plus the Master’s of Accountancy ( MAcc) in a fifth year. The MAcc fulfills the 150 credit requirement of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (see the Graduate Catalogue for additional information on the MAcc.) The specific requirements to sit for the CPA examination vary among states. Students who plan to sit for the CPA exam are advised to contact the Board of Accountancy for the State where they plan to work.

The General Accounting concentration consists of twelve credits of accounting coursework; BSAD 161 (Intermediate Accounting I), BSAD 162 (Intermediate Accounting II), and 2 other accounting courses to be selected in consultation with the student’s accounting advisor.

International Business

Students interested in International Business are expected to participate in a study abroad experience. The University participates in a number of exchange programs with institutions around the world. Students wishing to study abroad must have a grade point average of at least 2.50.It is also possible for students to spend a semester at other approved international universities. It is recommended that students complete BSAD 120, BSAD 150, and BSAD 180 before going abroad.

Pre-Professional Work Programs

Students are encouraged to participate in pre-professional work opportunities, such as internships, part-time jobs or work study. Internships may involve part-time work during the academic year or full-time summer work. The time required for an internship and whether or not it is paid depends upon the employer.

Credit may be available for demonstrated learning in relation to an internship experience. Students may take up to six credits of internship credit. Any internship credit taken outside of the School of Business Administration must be pre-approved by petition to the undergraduate studies committee. Up to three BSAD internship credits may be applied to the concentration with advisor approval.

Students with a minimum 3.0 grade point average may enroll in an internship independent study with a faculty member by enrolling in BSAD 194. Students must speak with a faculty member in their field of study to obtain approval.


Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131