University of Vermont

2011-12 Online Catalogue

Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration (Master of Education)


The graduate program in Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration educates professionals who apply human development, organizational, and administrative principles to their work with students in higher education. Graduates of the master's degree program possess knowledge in administration and planning, organizational development, higher education policy and practice, and student affairs professional principles. Graduates further the goals of colleges and universities by serving as policy makers, student affairs educators, student service advisors, and administrators.

Pluralism is a primary curricular foundation of the Higher Education and Student Affairs program. Pluralism, a reality of American life and U.S. higher education, is expressed through course and experiential opportunities emphasizing the diversity of people, experiences, perspectives, and structures. The curriculum, including courses, practica internships, graduate assistantships, and volunteer opportunities with the University and local institutions integrate conceptual theory with administrative practice. Students gain an understanding of the student affairs profession, multiculturalism, college student development, history of and trends within U.S. higher education, organizational theory, and professional ethics.

An array of 60 practicum internships and 35 graduate assistantship (e.g., clinical internship) placements help students integrate their conceptual knowledge with student affairs and higher education practice. Assistantships are housed in University offices such as alumni affairs, the provost’s office, admissions, judicial affairs, development, and residential life. The assistantship application process is separate from the admissions process but interviews for both are held concurrently in March of each year. Practica experiences (three selections during the course of the degree) are available within University and local college offices.

General Requirements

Specific Requirements

Students are urged to hold either a full-time position in college and/or student affairs administration, if a part-time student, or a twenty credits per week graduate assistantship, if a full-time student. Assistantship stipends cover tuition for twenty credits of study each year and a bimonthly stipend.

Courses required for the M. Ed. degree in Higher Education and Student Affairs (EDHI) include: EDHI 297, EDHI 360, EDHI 361, EDHI 362, EDHI 375, EDHI 383, EDHI 385, EDHI 395, and EDHI 396. Forty credits are required for the M.Ed. degree.

There is also a Higher Education concentration in the Educational Leadership and Policy Studies doctoral degree (Ed.D.) that requires core courses (see Educational Leadership Ed.D.) and a program of studies focusing on the administration in higher education.

(Please visit our HESA Link out of catalogue site. website for HESA program information.)

Inquiries regarding this program should be addressed to Professor Deborah Hunter, 208 Mann Hall, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405.



Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131