University of Vermont

2011-12 Online Catalogue

Environmental Sciences [CALS] (Bachelor of Science)


Students may major in Environmental Sciences through the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, the College of Arts and Sciences, or The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources. For general information about the curriculum, see the Environmental Sciences section.

General Requirements

Specific Requirements

Environmental Sciences majors through the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences must fulfill the following requirements for graduation:

  1. General CALS distribution requirements.
  2. Core distribution requirements for major (also fill CALS distribution requirements): CDAE 002; CDAE 208; PSS 010 or PSS 21; BCOR 102; MMG 101.
  3. Environmental Science minimal basic science/quantitative courses (also fill college core requirements): BCOR 011 and BCOR 012; CHEM 031,CHEM 032; CHEM 042*; GEOL 055 or PSS 161**; MATH 019, MATH 020; NR 140 or STAT 141.
    * Students should consider taking CHEM 141 / CHEM 142.
    ** PSS 161 is required for many PSS courses in several curricular concentrations; most students should take this course.
  4. Environmental Sciences foundation courses: ENSC 101, ENSC 130, ENSC 160, ENSC 201, ENSC 202.
  5. Concentration requirement, fourteen to seventeen credits in one of the following Focus Tracks: Agriculture and the Environment, Conservation Biology and Biodiversity, Ecological Design, Environmental Analysis and Assessment, Environmental Biology, Environmental Chemistry, Environmental Geology, Environmental Resources, Water Resources. Up-to-date course requirements for each Focus Track are available from your advisor or the Department; or by going to the Focus Areas Link out of catalogue site. section of the Environmental Sciences website. Students may elect to petition to develop a self designed curriculum track. For more information, contact Dr. Donald Ross


Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131