University of Vermont

2011-12 Online Catalogue

Policies and General Information

International Student Admissions

The University welcomes the applications of international students.

Academic Documents

International applicants must submit official original transcripts of all secondary and postsecondary education, including final examination results. If documents are not in English, certified translations are required. Information regarding certified translation services can be obtained at the applicant's embassy or through the University Language Services Link out of catalogue site. or by phone within the U.S. at (800) 419-4601. Outside the U.S., call (212) 766-4111. This information is provided for your convenience only. All arrangements must be made directly with the translation option of your choice.

Standardized Tests

Students applying as first-year candidates must present official scores from either the SAT or the ACT. If English is not the first language, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS score is also required. UVM requires a minimum band IELTS score of 6.5., or a minimum TOEFL test score of 550 (213 on the computer-based TOEFL or 79-80 on the iBT). For information about test dates and sites for SAT exams, contact the: College Board Link out of catalogue site.; for ACT exams, contact ACT Link out of catalogue site.; for TOEFL, contact TOEFL Link out of catalogue site.; and for IELTS, contact IELTS Link out of catalogue site.. If an international student has attended a U.S. institution for three or more years, the Office of Admissions may waive the requirement for TOEFL or IELTS scores on a case-by-case basis.

US-Sino Pathway Program (USPP)

The U.S.-Sino Pathway Program (USPP) is a partnership between the Consortium of North American Universities (CNAU), comprising Baylor University, Marist College, Northeastern University, Stephens Institute of Technology, the University of Utah, and the University of Vermont, and global education service provider Kaplan China Link out of catalogue site.. The program provides a success-oriented pathway for talented Chinese students to pursue undergraduate studies in the U.S.

USPP students who will attend UVM begin by enrolling in a full year of college level coursework in China. They then proceed to a 10-week Summer Bridge program at UVM and from there continue as second-year students at UVM in the fall. Students are offered conditional admission to UVM on the basis of their performance in the credit-bearing courses taken in the fall and spring semesters in China, earning at least a 2.7 cumulative grade point average. Final admission is granted on the basis of grades earned in the UVM Summer Bridge program. USPP students must meet the minimum entrance requirements for the College or School they choose. Students who matriculate into UVM through the US-Sino Pathway Program are considered for merit-based scholarship assistance. Visit Student Financial Services Link out of catalogue site. for details.

English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs

The University of Vermont offers two English-as-a-Second-Language courses intended to ease the transition to studying and living in an English-speaking environment. Interested students with TOEFL or IELTS scores below the recommended minimum may want to consider transferring to the University of Vermont after studying at a U.S. college or university that offers intensive ESL preparation, although UVM will consider candidates on a case-by-case basis.

The ESL intensive program closest to the University of Vermont is found at Saint Michael's College; contact the English Language Programs Office, Saint Michael’s College, One Winooski Park, Colchester, VT 05439, by phone at (802) 654-2301 or by email at .

For further information concerning available programs, visit: NAFSA Link out of catalogue site. or write: Association of International Educators, 1875 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20009-5728.

Financial Support for International Students

The University offers merit-based scholarships to international students each year. Most international students pay the full cost of attending UVM; students attending on non-immigrant student visas are charged out-of-state tuition rates. All international students are considered for these merit-based scholarships; no additional application is required. Information about merit scholarships for international students may be found at the Student Financial Services Link out of catalogue site. Web site.

Form I-20

The I-20 document is used to obtain an F-1 student visa and can only be issued when the student provides certification that sufficient financial support is available to cover educational expenses for at least one full academic year at the University. Two pieces of information are required for financial certification:

  • A letter or statement from the bank (or supporting agency) indicating an exact currency amount and its U.S. dollar equivalent that demonstrates the availability of adequate funding for one year of study at UVM.
  • A signed letter from the sponsor (family member or agency) indicating that the funds in that bank account will be used to support educational expenses at the University of Vermont.

For more information on obtaining an I-20 after admission to UVM, contact the Coordinator for International Student Services, Office of International Education, 633 Main St., Burlington, VT 05405. Email: Phone: (802) 656-4296. Fax: (802) 656-8553. Web site: Office of International Education Link out of catalogue site..

Transfer Credit for International Students

International students who have attended postsecondary institutions in their home country may be eligible for UVM credit under the Transfer Credit Policy guidelines. International students should submit comprehensive course descriptions and outlines, translated in English, to the Office of Transfer Affairs, 360 Waterman Building, Burlington, VT 05405-0160, USA. Submission of these materials helps the Office of Transfer Affairs prepare a full credit evaluation prior to enrollment at UVM. All translations must be certified by the school of record or by an official NACES member translation agency. Translations must accompany all original documentation. If you have post-secondary college level course work, you may wish to have your credentials evaluated for U.S. academic equivalents. For more information, please contact the Office of Transfer Affairs at (802) 656-0867, or email:

Graduate Study at the University of Vermont

International students interested in pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Vermont should contact: Graduate College Admissions Office, Waterman Building, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, (802) 656-3160 or email at .

Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131