University of Vermont

2011-12 Online Catalogue

Policies and General Information

Enrollment Policies and Procedures for Graduate Students

Health Record

The University requires that F-1 Visa students file an immunization record with the Center for Health and at the time of first enrollment. Appropriate forms are sent directly to newly enrolled students through the Office of International Education.


Consult the Academic Calendar Link out of catalogue site. and the Registration Schedule Link out of catalogue site. for registration dates. Students register for courses at the time and in the manner designated by the University Registrar. Early registration is encouraged for both new and presently enrolled graduate students.

Students should consult with their program advisor before using web registration. All charges for the ensuing semester must be paid, or otherwise provided for, before registration is complete.

Graduate Course Levels

Courses which may apply towards a graduate program are numbered 200 and above. Not all 200 level courses are for graduate credit; check Courses Approved for Graduate Credit Link out of catalogue site. website. Courses numbered 400 or above are limited to candidates for doctoral degrees; courses numbered 300 to 399 are limited to graduate students unless special permission is given by the appropriate department or program.

Course Loads

Normally, full-time nonfunded graduate students enroll for nine to twelve credit hours per semester; full-time funded students, six or more credits, depending upon funding. Maximum enrollment is fifteen credits per semester and nine hours summer. Enrollment in excess of the normal full-time course load requires written approval from the advisor and the Dean of the Graduate College.

Auditing Classes

Courses may be taken for audit; however, tuition for the credit hours is charged as for courses for credit. Under no circumstances will graduate credit or a grade be allowed for audited courses. A student wishing to audit a course must meet minimum levels of performance set by the instructor at the time of registration in order to receive an audit grade on a transcript. Tuition scholarships funded by the Graduate College do not cover tuition for audited courses.

Physical Education Classes

Students may not enroll in physical education classes without prior approval by the Dean of the Graduate College. Graduate College tuition scholarships do not cover tuition or any fees for physical education activities.


Courses may be added or dropped, only during the first ten days of instruction of the semester. After the first week of classes an instructor may refuse admission to a course if material (such as laboratories) cannot be made up and the loss of this work would seriously affect the quality of the educational experience of the student seeking to enter the course. Faculty are not required to give make-up examinations, papers, or quizzes. No drops are allowed after the second week of classes except in cases where a student is enrolled by administrative error and has never attended the course.

Withdrawal from Courses

From the end of the tenth day of instruction until the second business day after the 60% point in the semester, students may withdraw from courses. Students who wish to withdraw fill out the course withdrawal form, consult with their advisor, and submit the form to the instructor for signature. The student is then responsible for delivering the form to the Registrar's Office no later than 4 p.m. on the second business day after the 60% point in the semester. Students give a copy to their dean for information purposes. The instructor also records the withdrawal grade (W) on the final grade sheet which is submitted to the Registrar.

Between the second business day after the 60% point in the semester and the last day of classes, withdrawal requires students to petition the Dean of the Graduate College explaining that they are unable to continue in the course due to circumstances beyond their control. Such a petition must contain conclusive evidence, properly documented, of the situation which prevents completion of the course. Acceptable reasons do not include dissatisfaction with performance in a course or with an expected grade, with the course or the instructor, or the desire to change a major or program. If the petition is approved, the withdrawal procedure follows the process described above.

Accelerated Master's Degree Programs (AMPs)

Highly qualified UVM undergraduates may be accepted into some UVM graduate programs prior to their senior year of undergraduate study. This Accelerated Master's Program (AMP) option is available for admission to UVM graduate programs in Animal Sciences, Biology, Biostatistics, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Computer Science, Curriculum and Instruction, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Nursing, Physics, Public Administration, and Statistics. Students must apply formally and be accepted to the AMP prior to taking courses that will count to the master’s degree. Please consult the program listings for details.

Undergraduate Enrollment for Graduate Credit (non-Accelerated Master's students)

UVM senior undergraduates may enroll for graduate credit at UVM under the following circumstances: the course must be available for graduate credit; total enrollment including the graduate course must not exceed 12 credit hours in the semester in which the course is taken; the course must not be computed as part of the bachelor's degree; permission to seek such graduate credit must be requested of the Dean of the Graduate College in writing by the Dean of the undergraduate college or school prior to enrollment for such credit. Such graduate credit is limited to six hours. It can be used only at UVM if and when the student is admitted to a UVM graduate program and only if the course is judged appropriate by the student's advisor for the graduate program. Generally, other institutions will not accept such credit, earned before award of the bachelor's degree, in transfer to their graduate programs.

Grading Policies

Grades are reported and recorded as letter grades. Student grade-point averages (GPA) are calculated from quality point equivalents noted here:

Grade Points / Credit
A+ Excellent 4.00
A Excellent 4.00
A- Excellent 3.67
B+ Good 3.33
B Good 3.00
B- Good 2.67
C+ Fair 2.33
C Fair 2.00
C- Fair 1.67
D+ Poor 1.33
D Poor 1.00
D- Poor 0.67
F Failure 0.00
XF Failure resulting from academic dishonesty.*

*This grade is equivalent to the grade of F in the determination of grade-point averages and academic standing. (Effective Fall, 2005)

In certain instances, grades are assigned that will appear on the transcript, but will not be used in grade-point calculation. These grades are:

AU Audit (see below)
INC Incomplete (see below)
P/NP Pass/No Pass (see below)
S/U Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (see below)
SP/UP Satisfactory Progress/Unsatisfactory Progress (see below)
M Missing (Grade not turned in by the instructor.)
W Withdrawn

AU: Students wishing to regularly attend a course, but not receive credit, may register as an auditor, with the approval of the dean and the instructor. Auditors have no claim on the time or service of the instructor. Students must meet minimum levels of performance set by the instructor at the time of registration in order to receive an audit grade. Tuition is charged at the applicable rate. Under no circumstances will changes be made after the add/drop period to allow credit for courses audited.

INC: This grade may be assigned when coursework is not completed for reasons beyond the student's control. Incompletes require the approval of the student's college/school dean. The incomplete course requirement will be satisfied at the earliest possible date, but not longer than the beginning of the corresponding semester of the next academic year. In cases of laboratory assignments, the student must complete all work the first time that the laboratory experience is offered again. Instructors will fill out an incomplete card and forward it to the student's dean and include the reason for the incomplete as well as the completion date agreed to by the student and instructor. It is the student's responsibility to learn from the dean's office whether the request has been approved, the date of completion, and, from the instructor, the nature of all outstanding requirements.

Incompletes may be approved for the following reasons: Medical, personal tragedy or academic. In all instances, students must contact the appropriate dean's office to obtain necessary applications information.

P/NP: Undergraduate degree program students, not on academic trial, are permitted to take up to six courses (or as many courses as they have semesters remaining for transfer students) on a pass/no pass basis, beginning in their sophomore year. Courses in the student's major department, either for the major or for the degree, and electives within the distribution requirements of a department may not be taken on a pass/no pass basis. This option may be used without condition for free electives. It also may be used for physical education (activity) courses, and shall not be counted as a part of the six standard courses described above.

Students must complete all work normally required in these courses to receive full credit toward graduation for passing them. The instructor will not be informed of the student's status and the Registrar will record grades of D or higher as Pass and grades of F as No Pass. The grade submitted by the instructor will not become available to the student nor to any third party. There are no quality points associated with Pass/ No Pass grades.

To apply, a Pass/No Pass Request Form, obtained from the Registrar's Office, must be approved by the student's academic advisor and submitted to the Registrar's Office during the first ten instruction days of the semester. Requests to be removed from that status must be filed during the same period. Any question about a course or courses being appropriately elected as pass/no pass for a student will be resolved by the student's college/school dean.

Note: Non-degree students may not take courses on pass/no pass basis.

S/U: These grades are used in courses where the A-F grade is inappropriate, such as in seminars, internships, practica, etc. For graduate students, S and U are used to indicate levels of performance for credits received in Thesis or Dissertation Research and may be used to indicate levels of performance in a Seminar. There are no quality points associated with the letter grades of S and U. For undergraduates, the S/U is available only on a whole course basis and is available for courses that count toward degree requirements.

SP/UP: These grades are used in courses with a linkage in credits in multiple semesters. Neither SP nor UP will be included in the student’s GPA. The grade of SP will be assigned when a student has made satisfactory progress during a semester prior to the final semester of the linked courses; credit will be awarded with the grade of SP. The grade of UP will be assigned when the student’s progress has been unsatisfactory and no credit will be awarded. The faculty member may change the grade of SP to a letter grade once the final grade for the multiple semester work is completed. A grade of SP cannot be changed to a UP based on a student not completing the final semester’s work satisfactorily.


Students whose academic progress is deemed unsatisfactory at any time may be dismissed from the Graduate College by the Dean upon consultation with the student's department or program. In addition, students may be dismissed if (a) they receive two grades or more below a B (3.00), or (b) they receive a U (Unsatisfactory) in Thesis or Dissertation Research or Seminar.

Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131