2010-11 Online Catalogue
Graduate Courses in Forestry (FOR)
- FOR 205 - Mineral Nutrition of Plants
- (Cross-listed with Botany 205.)
- FOR 222 - Advanced Silviculture
- Scientific basis and contemporary status of silviculture practices. Prerequisites: 223, permission. Alternate years, 2000-01.
0 or 3
- FOR 225 - Tree Structure & Function
- Basic anatomy and physiology of trees and other woody plants, emphasizing their unique structural and physiological adaptations to the environment. Prerequisites: Permission.
- FOR 228 - Ecosystem Ecology
- Examination of the structure and function of terrestrial ecosystems using a systems approach. Laboratory sessions involve modeling and data analysis. Prerequisites: Biology 1, 2, Chemistry 23, an intermediate ecology course, Natural Resources 140, Math. 19, Physics 11 or equivalent. Alternate years, 2002-03.
- FOR 231 - Integrated Forest Protection
- Integration of concepts of forest protection using a holistic ecological approach to forest pest management. Detection, population dynamics, evaluation, prediction, and pest management considerations. Prerequisites: 133, 234 or instructor's permission. Alternate years, 2001-02.
- FOR 235 - Forest Ecosystem Health
- Forest health is a broadly defined, emerging discipline in forestry and ecology that examines the agents and processes affecting tree and forest decline. Pre/co-requisites: NR 103, BIOL 001 and BIOL 002 or PBIO 004, MATH 009, FOR 021, preferred FOR 121.
- FOR 272 - Sustainable Mgmt Forest Ecosys
- Principles of long-term planning and plan implementation in support of sustainable forestry; Adaptive management; biodiversity and ecosystem health; major management planning project. Prerequisites: FOR 122, NR 205, concurrent or prior enrollment in 223; or graduate standing.
0 or 4
- FOR 285 - Advanced Special Topics
- Advanced special topics courses or seminars in forestry beyond the scope of existing formal courses. Prerequisites: Graduate or advanced undergraduate standing, instructor's permission. Credit as arranged.
0 to 6
- FOR 382 - Seminar in Research Planning
- (Cross-listed with Natural Resources 382.)
- FOR 385 - Selected Problems in Forestry
- Advanced readings, or a special investigation dealing with a topic beyond the scope of existing formal courses. Prerequisites: Permission.
1 to 6