2010-11 Online Catalogue
Academic Policies and General Information
The University of Vermont is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc., a nongovernmental, nationally-recognized organization whose affiliated institutes include elementary schools through collegiate institutions offering postgraduate instruction.
Accreditations of an institution by the New England Association indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of institutional quality periodically applied through a peer group review process. An accredited school or college is one which has available the necessary resources to achieve its stated purposes through appropriate educational programs, is substantially doing so, and gives reasonable evidence that it will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Institutional integrity is also addressed through accreditation.
Accreditation by the New England Association is not partial but applied to the institution as a whole. As such, it is not a guarantee of quality of every course or program offered or the competence of individual graduates. Rather, it provides reasonable assurance about the quality of opportunities available to students who attend the institution.
Inquiries regarding the status of an institution's accreditation by the New England Association should be directed to the administrative staff of the University. Individuals may also contact the New England Association of Schools and Colleges , 209 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730-1433, (781) 271-0022.
Specific program accreditations include:
- Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Dietetics - Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education
- Arts and Sciences
- Chemistry - American Chemical Society
- Speech - Language Pathology - American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Clinical Psychology - American Psychological Association
- Business Administration
- AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Education and Social Services
- Social Work - Council on Social Work Education
- Teacher Education - Vermont Department of Education
- Counseling - Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
- Educator Preparation Programs - National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering Programs - Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
- Liaison Committee on Medical Education, American Medical Association - Association of American Medical Colleges
- Nursing and Health Sciences
- Athletic Training Education Program - Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- Medical Laboratory Science - National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science
- Nuclear Medicine Technology - Joint Review Committee on Education Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- (Professional) Nursing - Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Physical Therapy - Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education