University of Vermont

Official 2010-2011 Catalogue Site

2010-11 Online Catalogue

Academic Policies and General Information

Transfer Student Admissions

The University welcomes applicants who have demonstrated success at other institutions of higher education and who have met all University-wide entrance requirements either in high school or in college. For the purpose of admission, a transfer candidate is one who has taken college-level courses for credit after completion of or graduation from secondary school.

All transfer students are considered for admission on a space-available, competitive basis.

In making transfer admission decisions, the Admissions Office reviews all academic information available: official transcripts of all college-level work and the high school record (or General Education Development Certificate). Submission of standardized test scores such as the SAT or the ACT is optional for transfer candidates.

Transfer candidates are subject to the minimum entrance requirements outlined for first-year candidates. Any entrance requirement not fulfilled in high school can be met by an equivalent semester-long college course.

For transfer candidates who have earned fewer than 30 college-level credits, the quality of the high school record remains an important evaluation tool. After 30 earned credit hours, the college gradepoint average and course selection are the most important factors in a decision. The Admissions Office still needs to review the high school record to determine if all University-wide entrance requirements have been met.

The minimum grade point average requirement for all transfer candidates is a 2.5 average on a four-point scale. Generally, a 3.0 average or above is recommended to be competitive.

Additional Transfer Requirements

College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences: Applicants to the School of Engineering (programs in Civil, Electrical, Environmental and Mechanical Engineering, as well as Engineering and Engineering Management) must have a GPA of at least 2.3 (C+) from their previous institution(s).

College of Nursing and Health Sciences: A limited number of seats may be available for qualified applicants interested in transferring to the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. Applicants to the nursing major must have completed approximately 30 credits of the non-nursing required coursework from the first year of the curriculum. Qualified applicants to all other majors will be considered on a space-available basis.

School of Business Administration: The School of Business Administration requires transfer applicants to have completed at least one semester of college level calculus and one semester of college level economics, micro or macro economics is preferred, with at least a 2.5 or better. AP credits are acceptable. Transfer applicants who do not meet this requirement will only be considered for their second major choice.

Students who do not meet the minimum requirements are encouraged to enroll in the College of Arts and Sciences to complete the Business Prerequisites prior to initiating an internal transfer.

Transfer Credit Policy

The Office of Transfer Affairs reviews each college-level course taken by transfer candidates accepted for admission. Transfer candidates are notified electronically with their official credit evaluation. To receive transfer credit, a course must have been taken at a regionally accredited degree-granting college or university for credit; it must be comparable in content, nature, and intensity to a course offered at UVM; and the grade earned must be comparable to a "C" or higher as indicated on an official transcript. The dean of the college or school determines the applicability of the transfer course(s) to the student's degree requirements at the University. Credit is given for course content only once; it is the student's responsibility not to duplicate courses.

All transfer credit remains provisional until the transfer student successfully completes one semester of course work as a degree student at UVM. The UVM grade-point average reflects only course work taken here. Grades from other institutions are not calculated into the UVM GPA and will not appear on a UVM transcript.

Credit through the Advanced Placement Program (AP) of the College Board is granted for scores of 4 or 5. Scores of 3 are acceptable for some exams. Consult our AP credit guide for specifics at: AP_Guide.pdf. Official AP score reports from the College Board must be sent directly to the Office of Transfer Affairs in order to receive credit. AP course equivalencies are determined by the faculty of the corresponding subject area and are awarded by the Office of Transfer Affairs. AP credit is assigned a UVM course equivalency and applicability to the degree program is determined by the dean's office of the student's college or school. Students receiving transfer credit for AP may not receive credit for the same course at UVM.

Students who complete International Baccalaureate (IB) coursework and receive a score of 5 or greater on higher level IB exams may be eligible for transfer credit (UVM does not award credit for standard level exams.) Students may receive credit for coursework without completing the entire IB curriculum. Up to one year of introductory coursework may be awarded in a discipline.

College-level courses taken through high school cooperatives, such as Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA), may transfer to UVM if they meet the standards set forth above by the Office of Transfer Affairs. Credit may also be obtained through a nationally-standardized examination to demonstrate college level subject mastery. Advanced Placement Examinations (AP), which can be taken while still in high school, or College Level Examination Placement (CLEP), would serve as recognized standardized examinations. More information about UVM's CLEP policy is available at: undergraduate/applying/?Page=other.html. A third option is the UVM Credit by Exam. Contact the Office of Transfer Affairs for more information.

Diversity Requirement and Transfer Credit

All transfer credit review starts with the Office of Transfer Affairs. In order to determine if a transferred course will satisfy the D1 or D2 Diversity Requirement please submit the following to the Office of Transfer Affairs:

  • A detailed course syllabus of the transferred course in question for review
  • One to two paragraphs (to accompany the syllabus) that explicitly states clearly which requirement (D1 or D2) you are attempting to fulfill and why you believe the course should count toward this requirement. Requirement will not be considered without specifying D1 or D2.
  • Additional supporting documentation regarding coursework is welcomed.
  • Criteria for D1: Race and Racism in the U.S.
    * Race and racism in the United States;
    * The meaning of power and privilege;
    * The importance and impact of diversity and multiculturalism in United States society; and,
    * Include content that fosters self reflection regarding one's own prejudices in a manner that is observable by the instructor.
  • Category D2: - Human and Societal Diversity: Courses in this broader category must promote an understanding of and an appreciation for at least one of the many facets of human and/or societal diversity including but not limited to:
    Criteria for Category D2
    * Non-United States cultures, past or present;
    * The workplace, organization, and/or the community;
    * Global or international issues, including the flow of people, cultures, labor, capital, diseases, or resources past or present, across or within all international / multinational geographical borders;
    * Backgrounds and/or orientations related to race ethnicity, religion, class/socio-economic status, language, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, or other socially constructed categories; and/or,
    * Interventions and /or techniques to serve the needs of diverse groups in society.

Further questions regarding transfer credit should be addressed to the Office of Transfer Affairs, 360 Waterman Building, University of Vermont, Burlington,VT 05405-0160, (802) 656-0867 or email: