University of Vermont

Official 2010-2011 Catalogue Site

2010-11 Online Catalogue

Academic Policies and General Information

International Student Admissions

The University welcomes the applications of international students.

Academic Documents

International applicants must submit official original transcripts of all secondary and postsecondary education, including final examination results. If documents are not in English, certified translations are required. Information regarding certified translation services can be obtained at the applicant's embassy or through University Language Services, within the U.S. at (800) 419-4601. Outside the U.S., call (212) 766-4111. This information is provided for your convenience only. All arrangements must be made directly with the translation option of your choice.

Standardized Tests

Students applying as first-year candidates must present official scores from either the SAT or the ACT. If English is not the first language, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is also required. You may also submit official scores from IELTS; we require a minimum band score of 6.5. Because the University does not offer an intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) program, UVM requires a minimum TOEFL test score of 550 (213 on the computer-based TOEFL or 79-80 on the iBT.) For information about test dates and sites for SAT and TOEFL exams, contact the Educational Testing Service in Princeton, NJ (609) 771-7100; If a student has attended a U.S. institution for three or more years, the Office of Admissions may waive the requirement for TOEFL or IELTS scores on a case-by-case basis.

US-Sino Pathways Program (USPP)

The U.S.-Sino Pathway Program (USPP) is a partnership between the Consortium of North American Universities (CNAU), comprising Baylor University, Northeastern University, the University of Utah, and the University of Vermont, and global education service provider Kaplan China. The program provides a success-oriented pathway for talented Chinese students to pursue undergraduate studies in the U.S.

USPP students who will attend UVM begin by enrolling in an International Foundation Year in China. They then proceed to a 10-week Summer Bridge program at UVM and from there continue as second-year students at UVM in the fall. Students are offered conditional admission to UVM on the basis of their performance in the credit-bearing courses in the International Foundation Year, earning at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average. Final admission is granted on the basis of grades earned in the UVM Summer Bridge program. USPP students must meet the minimum entrance requirements for the college or school they choose. Students who matriculate into UVM through the US-Sino Pathways Program are considered for merit-based scholarship assistance. Visit for details.

English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs

The University of Vermont offers a few English-as-a-Second-Language courses intended to ease the transition to studying and living in an English-speaking environment. Interested students with TOEFL scores below the recommended minimum may want to consider transferring to the University of Vermont after studying at a U.S. college or university that offers intensive ESL preparation, although UVM will consider candidates on a case-by-case basis.

The ESL intensive program closest to the University of Vermont is at Saint Michael's College, an accredited institution of higher learning in nearby Colchester, Vermont. For full information about Saint Michael's College, write to the School for International Studies, Saint Michael's College, One Winooski Park, Colchester, VT 05404, by phone at (802) 654-2000, extension 2300.

For further information concerning available programs, contact: NAFSA Link out of catalogue site.: Association of International Educators, 1875 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20009-5728.

Financial Support for International Students

The University offers a few partial tuition scholarships to international students each year. Most international students pay the full cost of attending UVM; those attending on non-immigrant student visas are charged out-of-state tuition rates. All international students are considered for these merit-based scholarships; no additional application is required.

Form I-20

The I-20 document is used to obtain an F-1 student visa and can only be issued when the student provides certification that sufficient financial support is available to cover educational expenses for at least one full academic year at the University. Two pieces of information are required for financial certification:

  • A letter or statement from the bank (or supporting agency) indicating an exact currency amount and its U.S. dollar equivalent that demonstrates the availability of adequate funding for one year of study at UVM.
  • A signed letter from the sponsor (family member or agency) indicating that the funds in that bank account will be used to support educational expenses at the University of Vermont.

For more information on obtaining an I-20 after admission to UVM, contact the Coordinator for International Student Services, Office of International Education, 633 Main St., Burlington, VT 05405. Phone: (802) 656-4296.Fax: (802) 656-8553, or their website:

Transfer Credit for International Students

International students who have attended postsecondary institutions in their home country may be eligible for UVM credit under the Transfer Credit Policy guidelines. International students should submit comprehensive course descriptions and outlines, translated in English, to the Office of Transfer Affairs, 360 Waterman Building, Burlington, VT 05405-0160, USA. Submission of these materials helps the Office of Transfer Affairs prepare a full credit evaluation prior to enrollment at UVM. All translations must be certified by the school of record, or by an official NACES member translation agency. Translations must accompany all original documentation. If you have post-secondary college level course work, you may wish to have your credentials evaluated for U.S. academic equivalents. For more information, please contact the Office of Transfer Affairs at (802) 656-0867, or email:

Graduate Study at the University of Vermont

International students interested in pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Vermont should contact: Graduate College Admissions Office, Waterman Building, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, (802) 656-3160.