Academic Policies and General Information
Application and Supporting Materials for Undergraduates
To review an application and render a decision, the Admissions Office must receive the following by the appropriate deadlines:
- Application for Admission Candidates are encouraged to apply online using the Common Application and UVM Supplement at www.commonapp.org. More information about admission criteria and the application checklist can be found online at uvm.edu/admissions/undergraduate/applying Web site .
- Application Fee The non-refundable application fee is made payable to the University of Vermont via check, money order or credit card. For candidates for whom the fee poses a financial hardship, fee waivers are accepted from the College Board, guidance counselors, the Admissions Office, or other reputable sources familiar with the applicant's financial situation.
- Official transcripts from all secondary and (for transfer students) postsecondary course work. Candidates may not ignore any previous academic work and are expected to provide a full, accurate account of the academic record. Only transcripts forwarded from the issuing agency are considered official.
- Standardized testing results (First-Year Candidates only): The University requires first-year candidates to submit results from either the SAT or ACT (with the writing component). UVM’s code for the SAT is 3290 and 4322 for the ACT. Standardized test scores are considered official if submitted directly from the testing agency. For further information regarding these tests, contact a high school guidance office or go directly to the following web sites: collegeboard.com or ACT, Inc.
- Letter of recommendation: All candidates must present at least one letter of recommendation. First-year students are encouraged to obtain a recommendation from either a guidance counselor or current teacher.
- Essays: UVM requires one extended essay as part of the admissions process.
- Music Majors: Candidates for the Bachelor of Arts in Music, and Bachelor of Science in Music Education must contact the Music Department to arrange for an audition or submit an audition CD or DVD before the application deadline. CDs or DVDs become property of UVM and will not be returned. More information is available at Web site .