University of Vermont

Official 2007-2008 Catalogue Site

2007-08 Online Catalogue

Academic Policies and General Information

Transfer Student Admissions

The University welcomes applicants who have demonstrated success at other institutions of higher education and who have met all University-wide entrance requirements either in high school or in college. For the purpose of admission, a transfer candidate is one who has taken college-level courses for credit after completion of secondary school.

All transfer students are considered for admission on a space-available, competitive basis.

In making transfer admission decisions, the Admissions Office reviews all academic information available: official transcripts of all college-level work and the high school record (or General Education Development Certificate). Submission of standardized test scores such as the SAT or the ACT is optional for transfer candidates.

Transfer candidates are subject to the minimum entrance requirements outlined for first-year candidates. Any entrance requirement not fulfilled in high school can be met by an equivalent semester-long college course.

For transfer candidates who have earned under 30 college-level credits, the quality of the high school record remains an important evaluation tool. After 30 earned credit hours, the college grade-point average and course selection are the most important factors in a decision. The Admissions Office still needs to see the high school record to determine if all University-wide entrance requirements have been met.

The minimum grade point average requirement for all transfern candidates is a 2.5 (C+) average on a four-point scale. Generally, to be competitive a 3.0 average or above is recommended.

Additional Transfer Requirements

School of Business Administration: The School of Business Administration requires transfer applicants to have completed at least one semester of college level calculus and one semester of college level economics, micro or macro economics is preferred, with at least a 2.5 (C+) or better. AP credits are acceptable. Transfer applicants who do not meet this requirement will only be considered for their second major choice.

Students who do not meet the minimum requirements are encouraged to enroll in the College of Arts and Sciences to complete the Business Prerequisites prior to initiating an internal transfer.

College of Nursing and Health Sciences: A limited number of seats are available for qualified applicants interested in transferring to the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. Applicants to the nursing major must have completed approximately 30 credits of the non-nursing required coursework. Qualified applicants to all other majors will be considered on a space available basis.

Transfer Credit Policy

The Office of Transfer Affairs reviews each college-level course taken by transfer candidates accepted for admission. A written evaluation is sent to each transfer candidate indicating the status of each course. To receive transfer credit, a course must have been taken at an accredited college or university for credit; it must be comparable in content, nature, and intensity to a course offered at UVM; and the grade earned must be comparable to a "C" or higher as indicated on an official transcript. The dean of the college or school determines the applicability of the transfer course(s) to the student's degree requirements at the University.

All transfer credit remains provisional until the transfer student successfully completes one semester of course work as a degree student at UVM. The UVM grade-point average reflects only course work taken here. Grades from other institutions are not calculated into the UVM GPA and will not appear on a UVM transcript.

Credit through the Advanced Placement Program (AP) of the College Board is granted as a specific university course, or courses, with scores of 4 or 5. Scores of 3 are acceptable for some exams. Consult our AP credit guide for specifics at: Official AP score reports must be sent directly to the Office of Transfer Affairs. AP course equivalencies are determined by the faculty of the corresponding subject area and are awarded by the Office of Transfer Affairs. AP credit is assigned a UVM course equivalency and applicability to the degree program is determined by the dean,s office of the student's college or school.

Courses taken on a college or university campus while a student is still in high school may be eligible for transfer credit. Students should contact the Office of Transfer Affairs for assistance in determining transferability of these courses.

College-level courses taken through high school cooperatives, such as Syracuse Project Advance (SUPA), may transfer to UVM if they meet the standards set forth above by the Office of Transfer Affairs. Credit may also be obtained through a nationally-standardized examination to demonstrate college level subject mastery. Advanced Placement Examinations (AP), which can be taken while still in high school, or College Level Examination Placement (CLEP), would serve as recognized standardized examinations. More information about UVM's CLEP policy is vailable at undergraduate/applying/?Page=other.html. A third option is the UVM Credit by Exam. Contact the Office of Transfer Affairs for more information.

Further questions regarding transfer credit should be addressed to the Office of Transfer Affairs, 360 Waterman Building, University of Vermont, Burlington,VT 05405.