University of Vermont

Official 2007-2008 Catalogue Site

2007-08 Online Catalogue

Academic Policies and General Information

International Student Admissions

The University welcomes the applications of international students.

Academic Documents

International applicants must submit official transcripts of all secondary and postsecondary education, including final examination results. If documents are not in English, certified translations are required. Information regarding certified translation services can be obtained at the applicant’s embassy or through university language services, u.s. at (800) 419-4601. Outside the U.S., call (212) 766-4111. This information is provided for your convenience only. All arrangements must be made directly with the translation option of your choice.

Transfer Credit for International Students

International students who have attended postsecondary institutions in their home country may be eligible for UVM credit under the Transfer Credit Policy guidelines. International students should submit comprehensive course descriptions and outlines, translated in English, to the Office of Transfer Affairs, 339 Waterman Building, Burlington, VT 05405, USA. Submission of these materials prior to enrollment helps the Office of Transfer Affairs prepare a full credit evaluation prior to enrollment at UVM. All translations must be certified by the school of record, or by an official government translation agency with the seal of the college over the translation. Translations must accompany all original documentation. If you have post-secondary college level course work, you may wish to have your credentials evaluated for U.S. academic equivalents. For more information, please contact the Office of Transfer Affairs at 656-0867.

Standardized Tests

Students applying as first-year candidates must present scores from either the SAT or the ACT. If English is not the first language, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is also required. You may also submit official scores from IELIS; we require a minimum band score of 6.5. Because the University does not offer an intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) program, the Admissions Office requires a minimum TOEFL test score of 550 (213 on the computer version) or 79-80 IBF. For information about test dates and sites for SAT and TOEFL exams, contact the Educational Testing Service Link out of catalogue site. in Princeton, NJ (609) 771-7100.

English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs

The University of Vermont offers a few English-as-a-Second-Language courses intended to ease the transition to studying and living in an English-speaking environment. Interested students with TOEFL scores below the recommended minimum may want to consider transferring to the University of Vermont after studying at a U.S. college or university that offers intensive ESL preparation, although UVM will consider candidates on a case-by-case basis.

The ESL intensive program located the closest to the University of Vermont is at Saint Michael's College, an accredited institution of higher learning in nearby Winooski, Vermont. For full information about Saint Michael's College, write to the School for International Studies, Saint Michael's College, Winooski, VT 05404 (USA Telephone: 802 654-2000, extension 2300).

For further information concerning available programs, contact: NAFSA Link out of catalogue site.: Association of International Educators, 1875 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20009-5728.

Financial Support for International Students

The University offers a few partial tuition scholarships to international students each year. Most international students pay the full cost of attending UVM; and those attending on nonimmigrant student visas are charged out-of-state tuition rates. All international students are considered; no additional application is required. These are merit-based scholarships.

Form I-20

The I-20 document is used to obtain an F-1 student visa and can only be issued when the student provides certification that sufficient financial support is available to cover educational expenses for at least one full academic year at the University. Two pieces of information are required for financial certification:

  • A letter or statement from the bank (or supporting agency) indicating an exact currency amount and its U.S. dollar equivalent that demonstrates the availability of adequate funding for at least the first year of studies.
  • A signed letter from the sponsor (family member or agency) indicating that the funds in that bank account will be used to support educational expenses at the University of Vermont.

For more information, contact Amy Corwin, Coordinator for International Student Services, Office of International Education Link out of catalogue site., 633 Main St., Burlington, VT 05405. Phone: (802) 656-4296. Fax: (802) 656-8553. E-mail:

Graduate Study at the University of Vermont

International students interested in pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Vermont should contact: Graduate College Admissions Office, Waterman Building, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, (802) 656-3160.