University of Vermont

Official 2006-2007 Catalogue Site

2006-07 Online Catalogue

Policies and General Information


Grades are reported and recorded as letter grades. Student grade-point averages (GPA) are calculated from quality point equivalents noted here:

Grade Points per Credit Hour
A+ Excellent 4.00
A Excellent 4.00
A- Excellent 3.67
B+ Good 3.33
B Good 3.00
B- Good 2.67
C+ Fair 2.33
C Fair 2.00
C- Fair 1.67
D+ Poor 1.33
D Poor 1.00
D- Poor 0.67
F Failure 0.00

In certain instances, grades are assigned that will appear on the transcript, but will not be used in grade-point calculation. These grades are:

XC Extended Course (see below)
AU Audit (see below)
INC Incomplete (see below)
P/NP Passed/Not Passed (see below)
S/U Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (see below)
M Missing (Grade not turned in by the instructor.)
W Withdrawn

XC: This grade is assigned when the nature of the course work makes it unreasonable or impossible for the student to complete the required work within the regular semester.

AU: Students wishing to regularly attend a course, but not receive credit, may register as an auditor, with the approval of the dean and the instructor. Auditors have no claim on the time or service of the instructor. Students must meet minimum levels of performance set by the instructor at the time of registration in order to receive an audit grade. Tuition is charged at the applicable rate. Under no circumstances will changes be made after the add/drop period to allow credit for courses audited.

INC grades may be assigned when course work is not completed for reasons beyond the student's control. Incompletes require the approval of the student's college/school dean. The incomplete course requirement will be satisfied at the earliest possible date, but not longer than the beginning of the corresponding semester of the next academic year. In cases of laboratory assignments, the student must complete all work the first time that the laboratory experience is offered again. Instructors will fill out an incomplete card and forward it to the student's dean and include the reason for the incomplete as well as the completion date agreed to by the student and instructor. It is the student's responsibility to learn from the dean's office whether the request has been approved, the date of completion, and, from the instructor, the nature of all outstanding requirements.

Incompletes may be approved for the following reasons: Medical, personal tragedy or academic. In all instances, students must contact the appropriate dean's office to obtain necessary applications information.

P/NP: Degree program students, not on academic trial, are permitted to take up to six courses (three courses for two-year students; or as many courses as they have semesters remaining for future transfer students) on a pass/no pass basis, beginning in their sophomore year (second semester of the first year for two-year students). Courses in the student's major department, either for the major or for the degree, and electives within the distribution requirements of a department may not be taken on a pass/no pass basis. This option may be used without condition for free electives. It also may be used for physical education (activity) courses, whether taken to fulfill a requirement or as electives, and shall not be counted as a part of the six standard courses described above.

Students must complete all work normally required in these courses to receive full credit toward graduation for passing them. The instructor will not be informed of the student's status and the Registrar will record grades of D or higher as PASS and grades of F as NO PASS. The grade submitted by the instructor will not become available to the student nor to any third party.

To apply, a PASS/NO PASS Request Form, obtained from the Registrar's Office, must be approved by the student's academic advisor and submitted to the Registrar's Office during the first two weeks of the semester. Requests to be removed from that status must be filed during the same period. Any question about a course or courses being appropriately elected as pass/no pass for a student will be resolved by the student's college/school dean.

Note: Non-degree students may not take courses on pass/no pass basis.

S/U is used in courses where the A-F grade is inappropriate, such as in seminars, internships, practica, etc. Designations of S, satisfactory, and U, unsatisfactory, are used to indicate levels of performance for credits received in Thesis or Dissertation Research and may be used to indicate levels of performance in a Seminar. There are no quality points associated with the letter grades of S and U. The student will receive the appropriate credit hours toward graduation for the S grade, but not for the U grade. Courses using this grading system are so indicated in the catalogue description. The S/U is available only on a whole course basis and is available for courses that count towards degree requirements.

Note to graduate students: A student may be dismissed from the Graduate College if two grades or more below a B (3.00), or the designation of U in Thesis or Dissertation Research or Seminar are received.