Policies and General Information
Application and Supporting Materials for Undergraduates
To review an application and render a decision, the Admissions Office must receive the following by the appropriate deadlines:
- The Application for Admission completed and signed by the student. Use of one of the electronic options, available on the web at the admissions web site , is encouraged. Candidates may also use the Common Application, available online at Common App Online, or from a local high school guidance department. If using the Common Application, please complete the common application supplemental form required by UVM.
- A non-refundable $45 application fee to the University of Vermont via check or money order or credit card (see the form bound into the Application for Admission). For candidates for whom the fee poses a financial hardship, fee waivers are available from a guidance counselor, another person familiar with the financial situation, or from the Admissions Office.
- Official transcripts from all secondary and (for transfer students) postsecondary course work. Candidates may not ignore any previous academic work and are expected to provide a full, accurate accounting of the academic record. Only transcripts forwarded from the issuing agency are considered official.
- Standardized testing results (First-Year Candidates only): The University requires first-year candidates to submit results from either the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT I) or ACT from the American College Testing Program. UVM's code for the SAT I is 3290 and 4322 for the ACT. For further information regarding these tests, contact a high school guidance office or go directly to the following websites: collegeboard.com or ACT, Inc.
- Letter of recommendation: All candidates must present at least one letter of recommendatioin. First-year students are encouraged to obtain a recommendation from either a guidance counselor or current teacher. Additional letters are welcome.
- Essays: UVM requires one extended essay as part of the admissions process.
- Music Majors: Candidates for the Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Arts in Music, and Bachelor of Music Education must contact the Music Department at (802) 656-3040 to arrange for an audition or to submit an audition tape before the application deadline. Tapes become property of UVM and will not be returned.