home

2004-05 Online Catalogue

University Professorships

  • The Williams Professorship of Mathematics, 1853, honors Azarias Williams of Concord, Vermont, merchant and judge, native of Sheffield, England, who in 1839 deeded to the University extensive land holdings.
  • The Marsh Professorship of Intellectual and Moral Philosophy was established in 1867 to honor James Marsh, distinguished UVM president and philosopher of the 1830's. William E. Mann is the Marsh Professor.
  • The Pomeroy Professorship of Chemistry was established in 1878 by John N. Pomeroy, A.B., 1809, who lectured on chemistry and served as trustee of the University. William E. Geiger is the Pomeroy Professor.
  • The Howard Professorship of Natural History and Zoology was established in 1881 by John Purple Howard, a generous benefactor of the University. William Kilpatrick is the Howard Professor.
  • The Flint Professorship of Mathematics, Natural or Technic Science was established in 1895 by a bequest from Edwin Flint.
  • The Converse Professorship in Commerce and Economics was established in 1899 by John H. Converse, A.B., 1861, LL.D., 1897, who as a trustee of the University proposed the teaching of Latin, modern languages, history, and other subjects. William Gibson is the Converse Professor.
  • The Thayer Professorship of Anatomy was established in 1910 to honor Dr. Samuel White Thayer, Dean of the College of Medicine from 1854-71 and 1880-82, from contributions made by alumni of the College of Medicine. Professor of Anatomy Rodney L. Parsons is the Thayer Professor.
  • The McCullough Professorship of Political Science was established in 1926 through grants made by Gov. and Mrs. John G. McCullough. Alan P. Wertheimer, Professor of Political Science, is the McCullough Professor.
  • The Perkins Professorship of Zoology was established in 1931 to honor George H. Perkins, a teacher of science and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Judith L. Van Houten, Professor of Biology, is the Perkins Professor.
  • The Shipman Professorship of Ophthalmology was established in 1934 by a bequest from Dr. Elliot W. Shipman, M.D., 1885 and is held by Robert Millay, M.D..
  • The Lyman-Roberts Professorship of Classical Languages and Literature was established in 1941 to honor Robert Roberts, mayor of Burlington in the 1890's and a University trustee from 1895-1939. Z. Philip Ambrose, Professor of Classics, is the Lyman-Roberts Professor.
  • The Corse Professorship of English Language and Literature was established in 1952 by Frederick M. and Fannie C.P. Corse. Anthony G. Bradley, Professor of English, is the Frederick M. and Fannie C.P. Corse Professor.
  • The Lawrence Forensic Professorship of Speech was established in 1965 by Edwin W. Lawrence, lawyer and financier of Rutland, Vermont, A.B., 1901. Alfred C. Snider, Associate Professor of Theatre, is the Lawrence Professor.
  • The Sanders Professorship was established in 1968 by UVM alumni, honoring the Rev. Daniel Clarke Sanders, first president of the University.
  • The John L. Beckley Professorship in American Business was established in 1983 by John L. Beckley, 1934 graduate of UVM a trustee from 1966 to 1970, to encourage economic education. James M. Sinkula, Professor of Business Administration, is the Beckley Professor.
  • The Bishop Robert F. Joyce Distinguished University Professorship of Gerontology was established in 1983 by alumni and friends, honoring Robert F. Joyce, 1917 graduate, a trustee from 1948 to 1954, and Bishop of the R. C. Diocese of Burlington for 15 years. Stephen J. Cutler is the Joyce Professor.
  • The Buttles Professorship in Pathology was established in 1984 to honor Ernest Hiram Buttles, Professor of Pathology and Bacteriology, 1921 to 1946. Bruce R. MacPherson is the Buttles Professor.
  • The McClure Professorship in Musculoskeletal Research was established in 1988 by J. Warren and Lois H. McClure. Robert J. Johnson is the McClure Professor.
  • The E. L. Amidon Professorship in Medicine was established in 1989 to honor Dr. E.L. Amidon, a revered teacher and former chair of the Department of Medicine. Dr. Burton E. Sobel is the Amidon Professor.
  • The Roger H. Allbee Endowed Research Fellowship in Surgery was created in 1992 by Roger Allbee, M.D., '31, to provide support for a research fellow in the Department of Surgery. Michael A. Ricci is the Allbee Fellow in Surgery.
  • The Robert F. and Genevieve B. Patrick Endowed Professorship was created in 1999 through a generous bequest from the estate of Genevieve Patrick. The endowment is intended to support the study or specialty of nephrology. Dr. F. John Gennari is the Patrick Professor.
  • The Gund Chair in Liberal Arts, established in 1995 by Gordon and Lulie Gund, provides the College of Arts and Sciences with the opportunity to attract a leading teacher-scholar to one of the liberal arts disciplines. Phillip J. Cooper, Professor of Political Science, is the first Gund professor.
  • The Wallace Professorship in the Department of Pediatrics was established in 1995 by the family of Harry W. Wallace to represent Mr. Wallace's philanthropic interests. Jerold F. Lucey is the Wallace Professor of Neonatology.
  • The Dorothean Professorship was established in 1996 by Dr. Stuart Martin in memory of his wife, Dorothy Webster Martin, to support an outstanding individual in the field of engineering or a related science. Sean Wang is the Dorothean Chair.
  • The Henry and Carleen Tufo Chair in General Internal Medicine was created in 1999 by Henry M. and Carleen Ann Tufo to support continued excellence in teaching, research and patient care in General Internal Medicine. The Tufo Chair is held by Benjamin Littenberg, M.D.
  • The S.D. Ireland Family Professorship in Surgical Oncology was established in 1999 in recognition of the cancer research being conducted at the University of Vermont by David N. Krag, M.D., who serves as the S.D. Ireland Family Professor.
  • The Patrick Chair in Watershed Planning and Science was established in 2000 from a $1.5 million gift from the estate of Genevieve Patrick, part of a $9 million bequest to the University. W. "Breck" Bowden is the first Patrick chair.
  • The John Van Sicklen Maeck, M.D. Chair in Obstetrics and Gynecology was established in 2000. It is the expressed wish of the Maeck family that the chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology hold this endowed faculty position. This position is currently held by Mark Phillippe, M.D., Chair and Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, he is the second person to hold the Maeck chair.
  • The Gund Professorship of Ecological Economics was established in 2001 from part of a $7.5 million gift from Gordon and Lulie Gund and their sons, Grant and Zachary. The first Gund professor is Robert Costanza, who also directs the Gund Institute of Ecological Economics.
  • The Stanley S. Fieber, M.D.'48 Chair in Surgery was created in 2002 by Stanley S. Fieber, M.D. to enhance the research and educational activities of the Department of Surgery. Steven R. Shackford, M.D. is the Fieber Chair in Surgery.

Last modified February 11 2008 11:16 AM

Contact UVM © 2014 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131